• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:06:56 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Sour starter mold

Started by armedcor, March 04, 2016, 10:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armedcor

Hey guys

Last weekend I built up a 2.5 litre starter and put it into a demi John. I then over the course of the weekend added the dregs of a few lambics and sours, some limited editions and rare enough bottles.

I just got home for the weekend and decided to have a look. There's definitely activity, the airlock is bubbling away, but there is one tiny floater on top which looks suspiciously like white mold. Is this harmful? Have I just wasted a load of great bottle dregs?

armedcor

Crappy picture I realise but it's the best of a Crappy bunch!

nigel_c

The bugs will build a layer called a pellicle which is to protect it from the outside world. Give it a Google and see if it matches what you have.

armedcor

Yea I'm used to pellicles. I have a lambic and a flanders red that I used commercial strains on which are doing alright. Could possibly be the start of a pellicle it's just very lose and floating around.

Simon_

There's a Facebook group for sour enthuasiasts called 'milk the funk'. It's full of sour brewers and biochemists. If you take better pictures and post it there you'll get a more considered response than here

Leann ull

armedcor

Definitely mold...new bits of white and the top of the main chunk is turning green. Real musty smell from the starter as well. I'm going to let it ride as I won't be home for 2 months but it's most definitely a dumper.

A very expensive shame.