• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:20:30 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Coopers English Bitter kit

Started by LordEoin, August 21, 2013, 12:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

August 21, 2013, 12:39:23 AM Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:11:53 PM by LordEoin
Just a headsup for anyone that doesn't know about this kit. It's a gem!
I put another one on tonight and the house smalls amazing :)
It's great 'as-is', no need for any hacking and the supplied yeast is perfect, but it's very forgiving and fun to play with if you want to.

This time I just wanted to put on a quick brew to get some bottles filled quickly, and this is the perfect kit for the job.
A 30 minute brewday (after cleaning stuff), a fairly fast ferment, early drinker. Just what the doctor ordered (or warned me about).

If you're looking for a quick, easy and tasty brew, this is the job  ;D

Homebrewwest also have a bundle option that makes the LME even cheaper, and add your 5% HNC discount, WINNING!
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/coopers-international-english-bitter-17-kg-beer-kit-514-p.asp

LordEoin

August 21, 2013, 12:49:05 AM #1 Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:13:58 AM by LordEoin
by the way:
1.7kg kit + 1.5kg LME, to 21L = 1. 044 (probably end up around 1.008)
Set to 18C
I'll probably dryhop about 30g cascade in a week and bottle after another week.
This will be at its best after about 6-8weeks in the bottle, but very drinkable after 2or3 weeks.

Garry

LordEoin gave me a couple of these a few weeks ago and told me to let them condition a bit.

I was thirsty during the weekend and like old mother hubbard, my own cupboard was bare! So I tried this one.

Pours a lovely clear dark copper colour. Fantastic head, like a fluffy meringue. Hard to get any aroma through a head like that but there was a bit of hops from the bottle. Very nicely carbonated, it might be too much for some of the warm beer drinkers but it was goldilocks for me (just right!). Nice clean bitter taste.  Reminded me a bit of a Fullers London Pride.

Very nice drop. I must get one on myself. I don't think I'd modify LordEoin's recipe either.

LordEoin

I didn't even dryhop that in the end, so it's basically just kit+LME.
It's very tolerant to pretty much any dryhop or grain steeps :)
This is probably my favourite beer kit.

onesoma

Sounds good LordEoin. I bottled a batch of this on Sunday, same fermentables plus around 25g EKG boiled for 2 minutes and then steeped for 15 mins.

What final gravity did you get to? I only got to 1.015 after two weeks. Temp was pretty constant around 20-21. Starting gravity was 1.046. Sample while bottling tasted good. Can't wait to try it in a few weeks  :)

LordEoin

EKG is great in this kit. It'll be a fantastic beer.

with 1.5kg LME, sweeter maltier and more full bodied = OG1.044, FG 1.012
with 500gLDM and 250g dex, clean light refreshing     = OG1.036, FG 1.007

Dunkel

Quote from: LordEoin on October 09, 2013, 07:36:00 PM
with 500gLDM and 250g dex, clean light refreshing     = OG1.036, FG 1.007

Dunkel the Younger made this exact beer, and was very pleased with it. It also went down well at the Capital Brewers July meeting.  :)

IrishBeerSnob

Hey guys, long time lurker, seldom poster

I'm getting my equipment together and am looking at this being my first kit.

Finalising the order and am wondering do i get the Liquid Malt Extract (Amber or Light) and I was hoping to dry hop with cascade. Can i do this in the primary FV after initial fermentation down?

Kinda hoping for a similar finish to Bru Rua?

Wayne Dunne

Fermenting - SMaSH Amarillo West Coast IPA
Conditioning -
Drinking-

http://www.irishbeersnob.com My Blog - Irish Beer Snob

LordEoin

I'd go with the light LME as there's already enough colour in this kit.
It's fine to dry hop in the primary FV.
Once the main fermentation is done (day 5ish) put 30grams of cascade into a boiled muslin bag, weight it down with some sterile marbles and chuck it in.
Leave it a week then bottle.

IrishBeerSnob

Wayne Dunne

Conditioning -
Drinking-

IrishBeerSnob

Sterile marbles? I'm guessing you sanitize them or do you boil em?
Wayne Dunne

Conditioning -
Drinking-

irish_goat

Quote from: wayneibs on January 06, 2014, 07:49:23 PM
Sterile marbles? I'm guessing you sanitize them or do you boil em?

Either would work.

LordEoin

i sterilize them in a bleach&vinegar solution. simples.
Boil the bag though. You don't want it soaking up the bleach and leaching it into your beer.

Clem dog

Hi,

I have this in the bucket since the 19th.
Done as kit with 1.5kg of LME (ala HBW). Has anyone noticed a sulphury eggy smell from the fv? Temp controlled to 20c with an aquarium heater.
First brew I have done that i have not liked the smell of in the room.
Not really concerned and ill let it run its course for a few weeks, just looking for opinions!

Clem

LordEoin

Probably too late, but lower the temperature to 18.
Don't worry though, it will fade and disappear