• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 02, 2024, 02:21:34 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Viking pilsner malt

Started by Shanna, September 18, 2015, 08:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

HBW have kindly offered to give out 25 KG bags of some of their new malts to clubs so that we can try them and give some feedback on what they're like.
I have secured a bag of Viking Pilsner malt for South Dublin brewers to try out, details here

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/viking-2-row-pilsner-malt-28-to-45-ebc-25-kg-5558-p.asp

The malt is being donated on the grounds that;

*  This trial is for feedback on the two malts that HBW are sponsoring.
  *  Each bag should be split up amongst the club in ~5kg lots, to allow a few members to try it out.
  * 2 simple feedback reviews are required per bag of malt that you receive, e.g. how efficient the mash was? OG vs other malts, what did it taste like?, would you use it again?, etc
  * Full memers only with preference given to South Dublin members (including honorary guests who regularly attend our monthly meets).

See original thread here http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,10664.15.html

So hands up, who wants 5KG of free malt to brew and review?  remember theres only 5 X 5KG lots.

Won't get it for a while yet but will distribute it when I get it. To sweeten the deal I will also include some Home grown Tettnang hops that I will be harvesting in the next few days.

1. Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Lurchalicious

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a SMASH contest,  I'm in for 5kg

1. Shanna
2. lurchalicious

Shanna

Quote from: Lurchalicious on September 18, 2015, 09:15:53 PM
Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a SMASH contest,  I'm in for 5kg

1. Shanna
2. lurchalicious
Great idea, maybe we set a date in the future to brew, condition & taste by.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

German pilsner/kolsch brew off >:)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

craiclad

I'd take a bag if there was any left, maybe for of a pilsner/saaz SMaSH? That said, I've not that much experience so I might not be able to give the best feedback...

Shanna

Quote from: craiclad on September 20, 2015, 07:33:11 PM
I'd take a bag if there was any left, maybe for of a pilsner/saaz SMaSH? That said, I've not that much experience so I might not be able to give the best feedback...
Update the list so.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Lurchalicious

I've a lot of left over hops from my IPA brew, either going to be a galena smash or a combination of galena, chinook and cascade

craiclad

Quote from: Shanna on September 20, 2015, 07:42:17 PM
Quote from: craiclad on September 20, 2015, 07:33:11 PM
Update the list so.

Shanna

1. Shanna
2. lurchalicious
3. Craiclad

Shanna

Hi there,

Received the Viking malt during the week from HBW (thanks to Bianca who sorted it out). It's sitting in my office at the moment but I hope to have it home by the weekend. Once I have it home people are welcome to get in touch to arrange collection.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

craiclad

So what's the story with this then, would you guys like to brew similar recipes and treat this as somewhat of an experiment, or should we all just go our own direction? 

I personally would be very interested to see the effect that a single difference such as hops/yeast can have on a recipe. Maybe we could all make a pilsner recipe and use a different hop/yeast? Or as Molc said, a straight up SMaSH off?

molc

If you give me a few months, I'll happily do a smash off with different yeasts. Have 4 beers in the queue for the nationals, plus group buy cider, so won't be until January though.

Shanna

Quote from: molc on October 23, 2015, 02:26:06 PM
If you give me a few months, I'll happily do a smash off with different yeasts. Have 4 beers in the queue for the nationals, plus group buy cider, so won't be until January though.
No panic for me as a larger really would benefit from a cold period. I am going to a stout & probably an English bitter this side of XMas anyway. Let's discuss options at the next meet.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

HomeBrewWest

Hi lads, and chance of some feedback on the Viking pilsner malt?
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

molc

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on December 08, 2015, 05:02:24 PM
Hi lads, and chance of some feedback on the Viking pilsner malt?
Current talks are to do a brew off in the New year with this, doing a smash or something similar. The nationals have gotten in the way for most people taking the brewing time though.

HomeBrewWest

A couple of smash beers would be very interesting.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie