• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:00:13 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Water Profile Dundalk

Started by Acott, July 24, 2015, 12:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acott

Hey lads,

I requested the water profile for Dundalk, to be honest I haven't a clue what everything means but it might be useful to someone!

if you need it let me know  :)

DEMPSEY

Water blending from different sources happens often so you best to test your own water. The salient akalinity test kit is the cheapest way and you can retest in the summer and the winter.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

danger_zone

The general water profile for Dundalk, or the water profile coming from your house in particular? Our houses are pretty close to each other so the profile should be the same
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

itsclinto

Hi aidan. Just out of curiosity how did you order one. I wouldn't mind knowing my own

Acott

Quote from: danger_zone on July 25, 2015, 09:47:27 PM
The general water profile for Dundalk, or the water profile coming from your house in particular? Our houses are pretty close to each other so the profile should be the same

I got two profiles, the guy said "(The samples) are representative of the water throughout the network" so they should cover your area too. If you PM me your email address I can send it over  :)

Actually here's the two

https://db.tt/AcXSmMCh
https://db.tt/1qp38aua

Quote from: itsclinto on July 26, 2015, 03:20:03 PM
Hi aidan. Just out of curiosity how did you order one. I wouldn't mind knowing my own

I just sent an email to the Louth County Council requesting the water profile for my area, in total it took two weeks for them to get back, but it seems pretty detailed.

Ed

There's a lot in there alright - I was looking on the Meath CoCo page for the same kind of thing and found this - http://www.meath.microworks.ie/ - which is mostly the same info, but I wasn't 100% sure how to interpret it when I looked at a couple of different water profile calculators.

Will_D

Holey Moley :)

That is the most detailed report I've ever seen!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

itsclinto

Quote from: Acott on July 27, 2015, 08:34:51 AM
I just sent an email to the Louth County Council requesting the water profile for my area, in total it took two weeks for them to get back, but it seems pretty detailed.

Thanks.  I might just do that cause i'd love to know what is in it.

For example, in your first one, theres total dissolved solids = 201  ???

Acott

Quote from: Will_D on July 27, 2015, 09:53:53 AM
Holey Moley :)

That is the most detailed report I've ever seen!

I'm not sure where to start really!  :)

If someone could point out / highlight the important numbers that'd be excellent  ;D ;D ;D

danger_zone

I think the main things to look out for are

Ca+2 – Calcium
Mg+2 – Magnesium
So4-2 – Sulphate
Na+ - Sodium
Cl- - Chlorine
Hco3 – Bicarbonate

There are water calculators online and from what I understand you plug in your figures, select the beer profile you want and it tells you which salt additions and how much to add
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

Leann ull

July 27, 2015, 11:03:23 AM #10 Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:41:24 AM by Ciderhead
Beersmith will do the same but not something I have ever looked at tbh  :-[
I really have to get an RO set up this year

Ed

i was thinking about RO... for the volumes I'm doing at the moment i couldn't justify the cost of the equipment - cheaper to just buy the RO water in a pet shop apparently?

Acott

Sorry to dig up an old thread lads, really trying to fix my water for the next brew.

Thanks to the GH / KH test kit I was able to work out the Calcium and Magnesium in my water.
Looking at the councils water profile I can pick up the rest of the numbers.

One question, they have them listed as mg/l in the councils report, is this the same as ppm? or is there an equation I need to convert mg/l to ppm?

If it is the same, then my water profile looks like this :

Calcium : 60.0
Magnesium : 15.6
Sodium : 10.4
Chloride : 21.8
Sulphate : 43.9
Alkalinity : 89.0

Will_D

Yes mg/L and ppm are the same.

1000 mg to the gram and 1 litre of water is 1000 gms. so it 1 to 1,000,000
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Acott