• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:52:50 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hi

Started by Dracusse, September 23, 2016, 10:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracusse

Hi all ... new to the forum and brewing as well just 6 brews so far  got in to that hobby 4 weeks ago ... plenty to learn and plenty questions ;) 

darren996

Welcome on board, 6 brews in 4 weeks is a great start, looks like you caught the brewing bug.

It's a great forum for help and guidance with loads of seasoned brewers that are happy to help.

Where are you based?

Dracusse

Limerick city .

First question straight away ... how you guys insulate mash tuns ? Tried few different options and all faled. loosin 2-3°c in an hour .

johnrm

What sort of mash tun?
What batch size?
Indoors/outdoors?

Preheat it.
Insulate the shite out of it - wrap it in a fleece blanket.

Dracusse

Using keggle. making around 20 to 25l in to fermenter ..  outdors .. at the moment using silver insulating stuff with plastick air bubbles inside from woodies .. whith the same luck losing some heat .  Tryed old wet suit ;) i think was the best option but it was ok for 36l pot .. to small for keg .
I was thinking to try as extra layer reflector tape for radiators from lidl .. will be on sale next week i think .

johnrm

BIAB?
Outdoors is going against you in a big way.
Is the base insulated?
I would think a fleece blanket is a better insulator...

Dracusse

Biab is boil in bag ? If yes  then no  :) bottom is not insulated heating at the gas burner . Actualy i was thinking i loose heat through the bottom as top is insulated during steps . Tryed to gently heat at mash time but finished up with burnt grain . Cant go indors .... she will kill me. after first time, left total mess in kitchen  :P 

johnrm

Brew in a bag.
Put up a few pics.
Also, 20-25l in a 50l vessel means big headspace.
Biab will help keep your grain off the base.
Brewing is a great way to see who's Boss!

darren996

If it is a full size keg you may have a lot of headspace so you could be loosing heat there. Also look at insulating the base and don't forget to pre heat your tun with your insulation in place.

As John said a bag will keep grains of the base so you can flick the element on occasionally to keep the temp up.

Leann ull

Camping or exercise mats and a sleeping bag
Other option is to get a builders bucket or similar and inject insulated foam around it.
Tidy it up with duck tape.
Shanna has a nice one with just insulation .
Need a big plug on top insulated as well.

Dracusse

Tnx for replys and tips ..  there is my mash keg with and without  insulation have to take it off when heating for step .

Another quick question  tryed to go for lager ....
And as i understand i underpithed the yeast and temp.. shock the yeast .. lag time was 83h ... now it is going ok . Is there comes something nice out of it or it is waste of time now ? And space in fridge ? 
What i did is ordered just one sachet of liquid yeast for 10l in mind just to give it a try had it on diy stirrer for 12h with around 0.5l of wort but at the day ow brew i forgot i was going for 10l and made a recipe for 25l.....  added to worth at temps  yeast 18*c , wort 20*c and stick it to the fridge wich was set to 9*c  as a result 83h of stress for me   :'( and yeast
Any advice what to do with it now ? Or i just leave it alone and go through  fermenting, deacityl step and lagering ? And see what comes out ?

Leann ull

It's probably funky as lagers are so unforgiving but stick with it. Typically my ales go off In 4-8 hours , lager 12-24 as it's a long slow burn for the yeast you may have dodged a bullet, over 3 days is a lot tho

brettdundee

If you have an airlock and C02 is bubbling through air lock now, then yeast is active and you'll get a drinkable beer - unless there is a hygiene problem and the wrong yeast started, but that is unusual.

Dracusse

Bubbling like mad now with 1cm  head in fermenter .
Yeast is danish lager from wyeast. Fridge set to 9*c as it is lowest for that yeast ...

johnrm

Looks like all good then. Congrats!
I reckon the air gap between insulation and mashtun is another reason for heat loss.
Wrap it in a layer of fleece first, then the bubble stuff.