• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:14:56 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

apple juice

Started by tipp brewer, November 10, 2016, 08:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

What a star Dave is, didn't even have juice this morning but collected others at the side of the road from me

evansannagh

Ok gents Juice is ready for collection 😆

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Keg

Quote from: CH on November 17, 2016, 12:37:40 PM
What a star Dave is, didn't even have juice this morning but collected others at the side of the road from me
I didn't realise you weren't getting any juice today Dave, Fair play! ... We'll have to keep a few bottles aside for you when it's done.

evansannagh

What else would you be doing on your day off but helping fellow brewers 😉

tipp brewer

I didn't realise you weren't getting a drum either Dave. Doubly thanks for that.

beernut

Absolutely, I didn't realise you were not getting any of the Thursday juice until I collected it! Fair play.

So lads how is it going. I put my starter going last night (half juice half dme with cal ale yeast) and it took off like a rocket! 

Will add the starter to the rest of the juice tomorrow.

Keg

I took two drums from the first batch and split them into a 25L and a 15L fvs (I had a bigger and smaller FV free and decided not to ferment in the drums).  I put in campden tablets on Tuesday night, little bit of pectolase on Wed morning and pitched yeast Wed night.
I put Bulldog Brew cider yeast in the 25L fv and it took off straight away, I put Mangrove Jacks Cider yeast in the 15L one and there's still no activity. 
I pitched Bulldog Brew yeast in the second cider batch a few hours ago and it's taken off already.

I split 1 packet of yeast nutrient between the 3 FVs. Hopefully the MJ cider will take off soon, 15L should be no problem for one packet of in date yeast!

tipp brewer

Didn't do anything too exotic, took 5 litres off the Tuesday juice and letting it do its own thing, bubbling away, the remainder of that one I treated with Camden and added a standard cider yeast. Its also fermenting away now. The Thursday batch was pretty frozen, a bit like a slush puppy so waited 24 hours for it to defrost and pretty much did the same thing. I LL add the cider yeast tomorrow as I m away tonight. I kinda forgot the nutrient, I have some but am not sure whether to chance it without it.

beernut

Just opened the drum and there is a foam on top and some gas. Is this normal?  Haven't added yeast yet just the campden tabs.

tipp brewer

I noticed the same this morning, I m not too sure but am not overly concerned, still smells like apple juice. I closed mine again and no gas few hours later so don't think its fermenting. I haven't done this before so I m no expert.

Keg

I don't have any foam here bit I wouldn't be worried about it. I reckon you'd want to pitch the yeast soon enough though!

evansannagh

Did the same as Keith MJ yeast took a few days to take off walked into the room it was in this morning and the f@#king smell my god it was bad farts smell 😷

Keg

Quote from: evansannagh on November 19, 2016, 03:23:02 PM
Did the same as Keith MJ yeast took a few days to take off walked into the room it was in this morning and the f@#king smell my god it was bad farts smell 😷

I think we should have used yeast nutrient for each batch, apparently that helps. I split one between 3 (I've no idea why i didn't but 3 at the time -they were cheap) and the house stinks from it! 

Leann ull

Lads tips are open the windows before she gets up and last thing at night, and then also blame the dog

beernut

Are ye struggling with temp control?  Cider yeast optimum temp is 13 to 16?  Where are your fermenters?