• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:45:54 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

intro

Started by marc, March 17, 2014, 10:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc

evening folks

i stumbled on here earlier while looking for a large stock pot that i could use as a kettle. As there is a limerick board on here i thought I'd introduce myself . I'm brewing a few years now on and off, mostly extract kits. I've yet to try an all grain. I'm still fairly novice-y I'd say but enjoy it  immensely all the same.

at the moment I've a cabarnet sauvignon fermenting. I had a sneaky taste this weekend and was very impressed with it. I'd added some oak chips in there too, maybe that helped. Aside from that, I made crab apple wine last september from the crab apples off a neighbours tree. thats happily maturing now in bottles. I'm looking forward to trying that this summer. I went and bought a couple of elderberry wine kits around the same time so they are bottled now as well.

once the red wine gets bottled I've got a coopers IPA to put on. I've not tried it before. I usually just got the coopers lager which I've always liked. I got some extra cascade hops to lang in there as well, hence the need for a brew kettle. this'll be a new one for me so that;ll be interesting.

anyway, I'll pop back now and then to see what ye are all up to. maybe I might learn a thing or two from ye..

do ye still meetup in the blind pig? didnt realise they had craft brews up there..i presume the crafty fox is probably attracting brewing folk in as well at this stage?

cheers
marc in limerick, 

Bzfeale80

hey Marc welcome to NHC and Limerick group forum. sounds like you have plenty going on there in your brewery ;D

there has not been any meet in Limerick with a good while and I guess its getting a bit late for this month too. Maybe something in June? If you can get out to the countryside in the next few weeks you should be able to get some fresh elderflowers and white thorn blossoms which you can use for making floral wines. I made some elderflower wind last year and it turned out great. you can also make cordial and champagne from elderflowers if you want.

Chris

Yes welcome, we might try to arrange a meet for next month if there is the interest?
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

Chris

Quote from: marc on March 17, 2014, 10:17:38 PM
evening folks

i stumbled on here earlier while looking for a large stock pot that i could use as a kettle. As there is a limerick board on here i thought I'd introduce myself . I'm brewing a few years now on and off, mostly extract kits. I've yet to try an all grain. I'm still fairly novice-y I'd say but enjoy it  immensely all the same.

at the moment I've a cabarnet sauvignon fermenting. I had a sneaky taste this weekend and was very impressed with it. I'd added some oak chips in there too, maybe that helped. Aside from that, I made crab apple wine last september from the crab apples off a neighbours tree. thats happily maturing now in bottles. I'm looking forward to trying that this summer. I went and bought a couple of elderberry wine kits around the same time so they are bottled now as well.

once the red wine gets bottled I've got a coopers IPA to put on. I've not tried it before. I usually just got the coopers lager which I've always liked. I got some extra cascade hops to lang in there as well, hence the need for a brew kettle. this'll be a new one for me so that;ll be interesting.

anyway, I'll pop back now and then to see what ye are all up to. maybe I might learn a thing or two from ye..

do ye still meetup in the blind pig? didnt realise they had craft brews up there..i presume the crafty fox is probably attracting brewing folk in as well at this stage?

cheers
marc in limerick,
Marc, I'm not sure why you need a kettle to add the extra hops. You don't really need a kettle unless your doing extract or all grain. If you want to add extra hops to a kit either dry hop after fermentation has finished  or make a hop tea.
If you want a kettle I would recommend making one out of a fermenter and two argos kettle elements.
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

marc

hi folks

i had notifications turned off so didnt notice any replies on here. sorry bout that.

yes i'd be interested in some meetups by the way. I'd love to meet other brewers, see some demonstrations, drink some beers and all that.

I put on the ipa that time anyway, jeez i love them. I've put on three or four of them now. I dunno will i ever put on a beer again. I'm an ale drinker at heart. I'd usually drink smithwicks on the town. IPAs are right up my alley that way.

You were right about the kettle, a big pot did the job sure. the first IPA i did I follwed craigtube (off youtube, I'm sure ye know him) and boiled up the malt and hops for a little bit before adding the extra water etc. lovely stuff.

the second ipa i put on was a craft IPA which was dryhopped. I think I left it in a little too long (just didnt have th chance to bottle) as it was very hoppy. still drank every last drop of it though. I liked it, just the wife didnt like it so much (win win)..so yeah IPA all the wayfor me.

over the summer I made about 20ltrs of crap apple wine and 15ltrs of blackberry wine. I think the blackberry wine maybe too watery though, will have to do something about that.

I must join in a bit more here. look forward to meeting ye somewhere down the way.

marc

johnrm

Hi Marc, there was mention of having regular meets in Limerick so keep an eye out.
All it needs to get started is 2 lads and fingers crossed you will get a few more!.

DesQuinn

I'm also in the Limerick area and I would be interested in meetups/demos etc.

It would be good to get some feedback on my brews etc as I am just starting out.

johnrm

Clear it with your local, pick a date and time, start a list.
Simple as.