• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:26:55 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hops Harvest day

Started by brettdundee, September 07, 2014, 01:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Quote from: johnrm on September 20, 2014, 09:00:25 AM
Thanks Shanna,
Are you staying at your sisters?
You could leave them there.
I will be passing at some stage.
Staying at my Mums will send you a PM.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

johnrm

Shanna

Big thanks to Brett for his hospitality yesterday, unfortunately was not able to sample any of his beer but from the rate the others were lashing in to it speaks volumes :) Left with a good share of fuggles & cascade & both Alex & I had a great day.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

brettdundee

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll post a few pics later

Unfortunately, I got distracted on way the to get you a few takeaway bottles :-[. If you are passing today or another day, please text me and call in for them.  You need some of the Gnarley Nettle ale's antihistamine properties for those vine scratches.

cheers
Brett

Shanna

Quote from: brettdundee on September 21, 2014, 12:03:06 PM
Glad you enjoyed it. I'll post a few pics later

Unfortunately, I got distracted on way the to get you a few takeaway bottles :-[. If you are passing today or another day, please text me and call in for them.  You need some of the Gnarley Nettle ale's antihistamine properties for those vine scratches.

cheers
Brett
Some other day gives me a perfect excuse to call over. Good luck with the demo on the 5th of October.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Eoink

Thanks for the great day yesterday Brett - looking forward to brewing with your fuggles and cascade.

Eoin

PS
Your Gnarley Nettle beer went down well. :)

brettdundee

Well we had another great sunny year for the hops, and another great sunny day for our 3rd annual Hops harvesting day.

We had a turnout of 10 pickers this year, some more fashionably late than others (I suspect they were hoping to avoid the bar carrying exercise of last year). Anyway after we set up the bar we started on the Cascades at 4pm.

Here you see Eoin attempting the one handed pick technique

Dec and myself were cutting down the spikey vines which scraped our forarms prevoking small alergic reactions. A few pints of my "Gnarley Nettle Ale" helped aleviate the alergy. It's a well kept secret that nettles contain natural antihistamine as well as histamine that causes the sting.

We also had an Irish stout and wheat beer on tap.

By the time the BBQ feast was ready at 8pm everyone was so famished that anything would have tasted great. Well no complaints at least.

Then for the hops weigh in and divvying up and several more pints into the night.

Total crop was;

Cascade - 2.55 Kg
Fuggles - 4.2 Kg
Goldings - 1.48 Kg