• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:30:08 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Plastic beer cases - where to get them?

Started by Marek2200, October 22, 2014, 11:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marek2200

Hello there,

I'm new on the board. I live in Limerick. Few months ago I started brewing beer at home (full mash brewing). I've brewed five types of beer so far - dry stout, Irish red ale, wittbier, Belgian Strong ale and Belgian pale ale. I'm going to brew next three beers this year.

My question is: where can I find plastic beer cases to storage my beer. I'm using  cardboard wine boxes now but I'd like to get few beer cases. I couldn't find them anywhere.

Please for help.

Marek2200

Thank you for you help. I will ask in a few local pubs. But why they are not selling those crates in any internet homebrew suppliers?

Garry

Quote from: Marek2200 on October 22, 2014, 12:28:09 PM
But why they are not selling those crates in any internet homebrew suppliers?

I've wondered that myself. There's definitely a market for them.

BTW, welcome to the forum  :)

Marek2200

So I'm not the only one who is looking for them :) So if I ask in a pub do I have to pay for crates or they'll give me them for free?

Shanna

Quote from: Dube on October 22, 2014, 01:22:10 PM
If they know you they'll probably give them to you for free (if they have any). If they don't know you they probably won't sell them or give them to you.
I chased this down a while back with various pubs and they pay a deposit on the cases so they loose out if any of the cases disappear. You may find someone who will provide them to you for the cost of the deposit but I was told this is frowned upon with suppliers of the beers as they see the disappearance of the cases as theft as the deposit does not necessarily cover the replacement cost of the case. I tried in vain to contact suppliers of cases in Germany, Austria and Poland but anybody who even bothered to respond was talking about a minimum order of 10K cases. I even contacted Chineese manufacturers who would supply < 1K cases. However the costs and effort involved would make them prohibitive to import (importation charges, tax, customs, currency charges, transportation charges, handling charges all add). What is needed is to get in touch with somebody who works in distribution of beers here in Ireland who bulk purchases of cases periodically to allow us to include our order in their. This has not been possible thus far. Maybe this could be discussed with people at the AllTech conference in the new year.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Marek2200

It seems to be almost impossible to have them  :) I asked in Fine Wines shop, here in Limerick. They said that in the other Fine Wines store (Fine Wines Party Store?) on the Ballysimon Road they may sell crates. I have to check it.

In Poland I had few crates from brewery. I've just bought beer in it, payed a deposit and didn't get them back. Maybe this is the way to getting them in Ireland as well.

irish_goat

You find the odd crate lying around the countryside as well. I picked one up beside the beach a while back. I'm assuming some people had a carryout and just left it there.

Saw a Diageo keg floating in the Foyle the other day but wasn't able to fish it out.  :D

Garry

Quote from: irish_goat on October 22, 2014, 03:17:21 PM
Saw a Diageo keg floating in the Foyle the other day but wasn't able to fish it out.  :D

Garry

Crates pop up here and on donedeal every so often too. Keep an eye out, you'll be sorted eventually.

Shanna

Quote from: Marek2200 on October 22, 2014, 02:41:39 PM
It seems to be almost impossible to have them  :) I asked in Fine Wines shop, here in Limerick. They said that in the other Fine Wines store (Fine Wines Party Store?) on the Ballysimon Road they may sell crates. I have to check it.

In Poland I had few crates from brewery. I've just bought beer in it, payed a deposit and didn't get them back. Maybe this is the way to getting them in Ireland as well.
The purchase of crates of glass of beer is more of a continental thing & is pretty uncommon here. Let us know how you get on with fine wines.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Tom

Out the back of Jackson's, Ballyboffet they have a sort of 'storage' area for cases. I swear to god there must be close on a million of the things fecked out there. No word of a lie. Next time I'm playing there I'll take a photo.

Marek2200

"The purchase of crates of glass of beer is more of a continental thing & is pretty uncommon here. Let us know how you get on with fine wines.

Shanna
[/quote]

I didn't know that this is a continental specific. I'll let you know if I succeed in buying crates.

Shanna

Quote from: Marek2200 on October 22, 2014, 07:49:15 PM
"The purchase of crates of glass of beer is more of a continental thing & is pretty uncommon here. Let us know how you get on with fine wines.

Shanna

I didn't know that this is a continental specific. I'll let you know if I succeed in buying crates.
[/quote]
Open to correction here but an offlicence won't serve you a crate of beers and give you a plastic crate to take away. Most bulk purchase of beer would be in cans aka the venerable slab :)

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Marek2200

I've got them. In Fine Wines Party Store in Limerick you can get them - one crates 12x 0,586 ml costs around 4, 16 e. I've bought four of them (with empty bottles). If you are in Limerick go to Fine Wines in Ballysimon Road.