• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 01:34:59 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Great Irish Kveik Off

Started by fishjam45 (Colin), April 09, 2019, 02:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishjam45 (Colin)

April 09, 2019, 02:05:15 PM Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 02:25:46 PM by fishjam45 (Colin)
With a nod to our ancestors, Garden County Brewers in association with Ireland's only commercial yeast producer The Wicklow Hops Company, are proud to present

The Great Irish Kveik Off!

Irelands First Single Yeast Home Brew Competition is here!

What can you do with just one yeast?

So get off your Arset and let yourself run riot! Plunder your recipes and bring the judges to Valhalla with your entry.

This competition is limited to one yeast, as selected by The Wicklow Hops Company, but the styles you can brew are unlimited.
An exception has been made for those who are going to bottle condition - If bottle conditioning with added yeast, only http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/lallemand-cbc1-11g-p-2825.html may be used. Any use of CBC1 must be communicated to us by sending a pm to fishjam and by also writing it onto your bottle label before drop off.
This competition will be BJCP registered and is open to any style but the yeast must be fitting with your chosen style and compliment it.

Overall balance is the key to a successful entry. The entry should be a harmonious marriage of the beer and the yeast, with neither overpowering the other. The yeast should complement and enhance the underlying beer, and the resulting product should be pleasant to drink. This is a BJCP competition, the existing style guidelines are there for your chosen style of beer. If the beer is out of balance it won't score as well, like any competition.  Creativity and showcasing the yeast will win you added points.

€7 Entry fee includes a direct pitchable liquid yeast strain of The Wicklow Hops Company unreleased Arset yeast, which will be posted to you, upon receiving your entry fee.  Entry fee is payable through via PayPal (it will take credit card too).

Entries can and will be professionally analysed to make sure the supplied yeast is actually used in the entry.

So get off your Arset, 'Kviekly' and get your creative homebrew juices flowing and brew a beer that would match with this yeast.

A little about the yeast:

The Overall flavour profile is similar to Hornindal, but this kveik yeast has a broad temperature range but its recommended temperature range is 15-38 degrees.  It can tolerate acidic wort quite well.  Stouts, Ales, Sours have been brewed with it, it really is a versatile yeast.
It can be used at lower temps to provide a clean taste with a slightly fruity finish.
And at higher temps for in your face outrageous New England fruitness.
It could work well in a kettle sour, maybe with some dry hopping.

Attenuation : 70-80%
Flocculation : High
Alcohol Tolerance: Very High

Details:
Dropoff and Entry Close?    
Contact your local club rep
7th September 2019

When?                        
Saturday 21st September 2019

Where?
The Harbour Bar, Bray, Co. Wicklow.

Entry?            
Entry Form Here.
Yeast will only be posted out to entrants after €7 entry fee is sent via paypal (credit cards accepted too).
Yeast will be posted out early July.

Prizes:

1st     
Gold Medal
Winner gets to name the Strain of Arset Yeast for commercial release.
Dinner Voucher for €100 in a restaurant of your choosing.
Professional Beer Analysis by The Wicklow Hops Company

2nd   
Silver Medal
€75 Circle K Voucher

3rd         
Bronze Medal
€25 Home Brew Company Voucher

Spot Prize
To keep it light-hearted, a Bag o' Cans for the best named entry.
Name to be chosen by The Harbour Bar on the day of the competition to keep it impartial.
(PM fishjam45 with any name/style changes etc to your entry up until a week before dropoff closes)

Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

molc

Excellent idea guys - well played.

The yeast is meant to be fruity at the high end - any idea what sort of fruits you mean? Might help when deciding what it will compliment.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

fishjam45 (Colin)

Cheers Molc and a good question too.
From what we know it is meant to be similar to Hornindal so I'd start by looking up and researching that yeast.
Personally I reckon citrus/tropical.
Garden County Brewers

TheSumOfAllBeers

Great idea for a comp guys.

Any entry restrictions other than the ones mentioned? I know a few guys in London playing around with some of these strains

fishjam45 (Colin)

I suppose the most important thing to remember is that only the yeast supplied after entering your beer can be used.  The guys at The Wicklow Hops Company can and will analyse the beer in the lab if it's suspected a different yeast has been used.  Otherwise it's basically choose what style of beer you reckon wood marry well with this yeast. Read what's been said about the yeast in the OP. Be creative. It's an exciting idea for a competition and we are genuinely excited about what beers are going to be entered. 

I hope that answers your question?
Garden County Brewers

molc

Sorry one last question, I take it all the yeast will be supplied at once so we're working with the same sample and also date. Rough idea of when it will be supplied to work out when to brew?

Alternatively is it just been supplied when people enter and its up to us to work out the right timings of when to brew the entries?

Promise that's my last question!

fishjam45 (Colin)

Keep them coming Molc, not a bother at all.

Yes you are correct, the yeast will be sent out at the same time to entrants and it will be from the same batch etc. to give everyone a level playing field.  The aim is to get everybody the freshest yeast as possible after production and in the best condition it can be but also give them enough time to brew as we don't know what style they will be entering.  This is a robust strain of yeast with great viability.

We are looking at the beginning of July for the yeast to be posted out.  That should give everyone plenty of time to brew and condition etc. for the competition.  Considering these kveik beer can be turned around fairly quickly (3 days I've heard), July should be loads of time.

Hopefully that answers your question?
Garden County Brewers

molc

Yup that's great! Now just to figure out what to brew :)

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

fishjam45 (Colin)

Entry System is live!

OP updated.

Entry Form Here

Click on the above link and fill out the form.  Your bottle labels will then be emailed to you.

Make sure to click on the Green Pay Here button when you've finished filling out the form.
This will take you to the paypal page.

Garden County Brewers

Simon_

Colin, I've paid but I got stuck on having to enter a style as I've no idea yet. Can I leave the Google form until nearer the time or do you need that entered to send out the yeast? Bit of a Catch 22

fishjam45 (Colin)

Simon, go ahead and fill out the form and you can just update the "style" section at a later date.

Cheers
Garden County Brewers

jonmuni

hi guys,

is it only 1 entry per person?

Cheers,
Jon

fishjam45 (Colin)

April 12, 2019, 03:18:50 PM #12 Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:18:49 PM by fishjam45 (Colin)
Entrants can enter upto 3 entries. €7 entry fee per entry.

Thanks,
Colin
Garden County Brewers

Thewicklowhopscompany

Jonnycheech

Great idea for a comp. Will likely enter one or two myself, sure you're basically making money with the yeast included in the comp fee.
Tapped: FES, NEIPA, CocoIMS, Flanders 2018, Passion Fruit/Peach BW
Fermentors: Raspberry Wheat, Session IPA
Bottled: Cherry Lambic 2019