• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 09:20:58 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Pluses and minuses of Church comp?

Started by admin, March 02, 2014, 01:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge

A lot of good points and little things to improve.

As a outsider, I like to be there to enjoy the ambience when things are finished. As said if judging is done, keep all spectators away. Once people are finished judging then move on out if not directly needed to allow those still busy a bit of quite. Give a time like 6 pm or later to allow all to finish, and for spectators to arrive so that there is no rushing or people hanging on waiting making noise. Then all can be gathered for announcements, thanks and handing out medals.

But a great day it was and a big thank you to all involved

akavango

The place was allright but the craft beer selection was really poor. The sound system was weak and it was really hard to hear anything over it.

Ciderhead

Last year noise level was worse in the B&C for the BOS.

There will be NO spectating for general public in Cork for any element of the judging of the comp, and will only be judges and stewards allowed in judging area as it's simply not big enough. I am sure that will come in for criticism too.

Prizes will be announced in main bar after all judging has been completed.
Not a clue as it depends on how the day goes, Dublin ran an hour over, I wouldn't be planning the early bus home.

brenmurph

Quote from: CH on March 03, 2014, 07:32:49 PM
Last year noise level was worse in the B&C for the BOS.

There will be NO spectating for general public in Cork for any element of the judging of the comp, and will only be judges and stewards allowed in judging area as it's simply not big enough. I am sure that will come in for criticism too.

Prizes will be announced in main bar after all judging has been completed.
Not a clue as it depends on how the day goes, Dublin ran an hour over, I wouldn't be planning the early bus home.

prob will CH, meself, kellie dodge, his wife and a few others are spending a fortune to go down, stay over and be at the show :( bit dissapointing after all our hard work

Ciderhead

Quote from: Tube on March 03, 2014, 06:49:19 PM
Quote from: Andrew on March 03, 2014, 05:12:53 PM
Multiple +1s on this- I was judging the last flight of cider and I think we where the last to finish and it was extremely noisy. Plus I think that people need to be kept away from the judging while still in progress. Especially people who have entries in the category!

Yes. Myself and Anil were shouting at each other at times and we were up the back. A few shushes would have worked wonder.

Telling folks to shush at a beer comp, good luck with that ;)

brenmurph

I was just commenting ( not complaining BTW) that being there ( keeping quiet of course) would allow us to soak up the competition atmosphere, after all we are 'in to' beer, brewing  big time. Would be nice to be there and enjoy the event rather than sitting in a pub all day and not being engaged with the 'event'

Ciderhead

Sorry Bren we are over on Judges and Stewards in a small room in the FW so unless you have a "Cork" badge like in Dublin you will not be given access.
I have a big Belgian bouncer too ;)
On the plus side you should be able to eat you chips in peace although I don't think folks in Cork are as gullible and you won't get them free just cos you flash an NHC medal ;)

brenmurph

appreciate that CH hopefully derll be a few of us around to have some craic ( outside of the judging room  :() and that was flashing by Gonky...not me! I bought mine and was really enjoying till the 14 year old manager sent his 12 year old rothweiler over to bounce us out the door >:(

brenmurph

no we were in another pub with the 14 year old manager with no tact at all...I'm being very polite here....on a one to one basis some day Ill tell u what I think of his management and people skills, especially given that most of the people in there was us...shocking experience and I wont be visiting or recomending it again

brenmurph

and btw we were completely sober, happy, cheerful,  well behaved and well mannered. and feck ya tube this is off topic...the Church was great day out :)

DEMPSEY

Is it possible to have the medal award ceremony in Cork fed as live feed to the internet so people around the country who cannot attend can instead watch. :-\
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Partridge9

Yea, like the oscars!!

Best dressed and worst dressed ;-)

Andrew

Quote from: Partridge9 on March 04, 2014, 12:18:37 AM
Yea, like the oscars!!

Best dressed and worst dressed ;-)

"Mr Partridge, who are you wearing???"

"Hopefully Mila Kunis later..."

[with apologies to Ross O'Carroll Kelly for nicking his joke]
Andrew
@beoirfinder

beerfly

and when we start falling over later we can say we are doing a jennifer lawrence impression