• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:36:27 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BJCP Judge Qualification COurse

Started by Padraic, March 05, 2013, 01:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

Quote from: mr happy on August 29, 2013, 01:13:29 PM
Quote from: Eoin on August 29, 2013, 11:34:51 AM
ahhh so if you make a stones of it then you pass too? So it's bullshit then?

Well, you can go back in and see how many you got right - so, not completely.

Hmmm I must check again

johnrm

mr hoppy

Quote from: johnrm on August 29, 2013, 07:37:58 PM
Quote from: Ciderhead on August 29, 2013, 11:55:05 AM
you can buy these commercially
http://www.siebelinstitute.com/products-a-books/sensory-training-kits?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=18&category_id=6
but I think Tim mentioned somewhere else which was cheaper?
Padraic mentioned that we can now get it for a LOT less than that.

Really? I think this would be really cool to do at a club level.

Will_D

Ask Padraic if its an easy exam!

Ye have just done the sample "tester" - now if I was designing a taster exam I have 3 choices:

1. Make it easy peasy and lull peeps into a false sense of security but at least I will get their 10 bucks when they sit the reall online exam and a few more if they try again.

2. Make it bloody hard that way no-one bothers me and wants to progress further.

3. Make it representative but lean towards option 1.

This is just the start of the BJCP path. The online exam qualifies you for not a lot!

Next you have the tasting exam - surely not easy peasy?.

Then after some experience points (10 I believe) you have about a three hour written exam!

Easy? I think not!

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

brenmurph

proper order... u only learn a lot if u study hard ;)

Ciderhead

August 30, 2013, 01:16:38 AM #170 Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:03:57 AM by Ciderhead
Quote from: johnrm on August 29, 2013, 07:37:58 PM
Quote from: Ciderhead on August 29, 2013, 11:55:05 AM
you can buy these commercially
http://www.siebelinstitute.com/products-a-books/sensory-training-kits?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=18&category_id=6
but I think Tim mentioned somewhere else which was cheaper?
Padraic mentioned that we can now get it for a LOT less than that.

About 40 odd sterling, we will deffo be buying one for Wicklow although obviously we never brew anything to these styles, probably just in case anything comes across the border!

I must check my notes
Group buy anyone?

Edit I've just had a brainfart
Perhaps the club could fund them for the local associations?

TT

Padraic

online Exam
The online exam is merely a screening tool to confirm that the provisional judge has a good enough knowledge to be let near the tasting exam.
Is it hard? - this really depends on your level of knowledge... I'd be surprised if I wouldn't pass it if I say it again, would someone who hasn't at least glanced at the bjcp notes but has a good level of beer knowledge pass it, I don't think so but it is possible!
I'm recommending that people doing the course sit it in November/December when we've covered most of the beers!

Off flavours
For the people on the course we will be doing the Siebel kit and I will try to get it part funded by the bjcp.
I also hope to run a second Siebel tasting for members(probably January or February), but this tasting will not be eligible for any bjcp funding as far as I know!

Will_D

Quote from: Padraic on August 30, 2013, 05:44:46 PM
online Exam
The online exam is merely a screening tool to confirm that the provisional judge has a good enough knowledge to be let near the tasting exam.
Is it hard? - this really depends on your level of knowledge... I'd be surprised if I wouldn't pass it if I say it again, would someone who hasn't at least glanced at the bjcp notes but has a good level of beer knowledge pass it, I don't think so but it is possible!
I'm recommending that people doing the course sit it in November/December when we've covered most of the beers!

Off flavours
For the people on the course we will be doing the Siebel kit and I will try to get it part funded by the bjcp.
I also hope to run a second Siebel tasting for members(probably January or February), but this tasting will not be eligible for any bjcp funding as far as I know!

+1

@mods:  Err Where's the thanks button gone
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing