• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:33:20 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Grape Ale

Started by admin, March 23, 2014, 05:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

My esteemed Italian BJCP colleage Riccardo is submitting this to the BJCP as a suggestion.

It's a style of beer I never heard of until Riccardo brought it up with Gordon Strong, but Riccardo has put it together and I've done a bit of proof reading on it for him. Sounds very interesting and a style of beer I'd love to try.

X1. Grape Ale

Aroma: Aromatic characteristics of a particular grape have to be noticeable but do should not overpower the other aromas. The grape/wine character should be pleasant and should not have defects such as oxidation. Malt character is usually restrained while hop aroma can range from medium-low to absent. Some examples can have a low to moderately low wild character described as barnyard, earthy, goaty but should not be as intense as in a lambic/fruit lambic. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Color can range from gold to dark brown. Reddish/ruby color is usually due to the use of red grape varieties. White to reddish head with generally a medium low retention. Clarity is generally good but can be affected by the use of grape.

Flavor: Many interpretations are possible. As with aroma, grape character (must or winey like) must be present but may range from subtle to medium intensity. Varieties of grape can contribute differently on the flavor profile: in general stone/tropical fruit flavors (peach, apricot, pineapple) can come from white grapes and red fruit flavors (e.g cherry, strawberry) from red grape varieties. Further fruity character of fermentative origin is also common. Different kinds of special malts can be used but should be supportive and balanced, not so prominent as to overshadow the base beer. Roasted and/or strong chocolate character is inappropriate. Some sour notes are common and may help to improve the drinkability but should not be prominent as in Flemish ale/Lambic. Oak flavors, along with some barnyard, earthy, goaty notes,  coming from aging in barrels can be present but should not be predominant.  Bitternes and hop flavors are generally low. Diacetyl from very low to none.

Mouthfeel: Medium-high carbonation improves the perception of aroma. Body is generally from low to medium and some acidity can contribute to increased perception of dryness. Strong examples can show some warming but without being hot or solventy.

Overall Impression: A sometimes refreshing, sometimes more complex Italian ale characterized by different varieties of grapes.

History: Produced by many Italian craft breweries during the last years, it represents a communion between beer and wine promoted to the large local availability of different varieties of grapes across the country. They can be an expression of territory, biodiversity and creativity of the brewer. Normally seen as  speciality beer in the range of products of the brewery.

Ingredients: Pils or pale base malt with some adjuncts (if any) of special malts. Grape content can represent up 40% of whole grist. Grape or grape must (sometime extensively boiled before use) can be used at different stages: boiling, primary/secondary fermentation, aging. Ale or wine yeast can show a neutral character (more common) or a fruity profile (English and Belgian strains). A wide range of hop varieties can be used in low quantities in order not to excessively characterize the beer.

Vital Statistics:                             OG:    1.043 – 1.090
IBUs:  10 – 30                               FG:     1.007 – 1.015      
SRM:  5 – 30                                 ABV:    4.8 – 10%

Commercial Examples: Montegioco Tibir, Montegioco Open Mind, Birranova Moscata, LoverBeer BeerBera, Loverbeer D'uvaBeer, Birra del Borgo Equilibrista, Barley BB10, Barley BBevò, Cudera,  Pasturana Filare!, Gedeone PerBacco! Toccalmatto Jadis, Rocca dei Conti Tarì Giacchè.

Will_D

This sounds very interesting.

Am already thinking a ApfelWeizzen so now Grapale.

I assume they just use a bit of olive oil as the airlock like the wine makers do?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

nigel_c

Id say it would be fantastic with a saison yeast or a few months with Brett

Dunkel

Interesting. Dogfish Head Sixty-One is an IPA brewed with Syrah grape juice.

Dunkel

Not to my knowledge.

irish_goat

Hasn't been any Dogfish Head into Ireland in a while now. They stopped exporting to a good few US states so getting it here is even harder.

nigel_c

DFH did a few with grape juice and a pretty decent percent of the fermentables. I was thinking of doing a Weiss and using about half a white wine kit in it. A brown or porter with a red wine kit could be interesting.