• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 14, 2024, 04:48:25 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Dublin Brewers - Next Meet - Thursday, 3rd September

Started by Bubbles, August 09, 2015, 06:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Quote from: molc on September 03, 2015, 08:22:51 AM
Shanna, I'll bring your pump nd can you bring the ncb bits and Bob's?
Yep, all packed up and ready to go. In keeping with the Finbarr Saunders theme (https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAAahUKEwij65L4idvHAhUCjdsKHV9sAIs&url=http%3A%2F%2Fviz.co.uk%2Fcategory%2Ffinbarr-saunders%2F&usg=AFQjCNF5W_-AiQ89-SCL8BZRly0sefBFKw&sig2=SNYVOLVXSZ8mqjUrcqpIdw&bvm=bv.101800829,d.ZGU) please emember to bring a large sack to put your bits in to ;-)

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

molc

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

bachus

1. Shanna WitWeisbier, Munich "Schlecht" larger
2. Molc - wit
3. Bubbles - Spelt Saison, Cider, Wildflower Mead, American Barleywine
4. David - Wit, dry stout
5. bachus - sweet Mead, crazy rocket fuel stuff
Dominik (bachus)

bachus

Thanks guys! Stand outs for me were the Pale Ale from David aka Boboboland! What a beer! I need to start brewing myself.
Dominik (bachus)

molc

I made an owie. Excellent night guys. Need it to be the weekend now.

Bubbles

Great session alright.

I really liked craiclad's 4% wheat beer. That's some result considering it was his first all-grain brew. I've nothing against session beers, of course, but I'd love to see that recipe and process scaled up a bit in terms of gravity. Just to see how it compares to some of the common commercial wheat beers.

The elderberry and juniper mead from bachus was outstanding, as was the "black licquer". That was some range of styles we had last night!

David

craiclad

Fantastic evening, I have to say there were some delicious concoctions going around. Also thanks for not making the new guy drink the slop bucket at the end of the night. 

Bubbles I'm glad you liked my offerings! If you want to mess around with the recipe for that session weizen I'll throw you some notes here.

50% wheat malt to 50% pilsner malt, mashed at 67C to a gravity of 1.040 (in my case at least). About 13 IBUs from magnum hops, and fermented with 3068. I had no temp control at the time, but I would guess it was a fairly constant temp somewhere between 18-20C.

I'd be interested to see how it works at a higher gravity as well, I absolutely love wheat beers so I'm likely going to try and really nail down a quick and dirty house hef over the next couple of months. I have an extract version going with WLP380 so hopefully that gives me some useful info. 

I remember at the end of the night there was some discussion of the best way to bottle from a keg (on the cheap). Have any of you ever used something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln3sGEmfijs

molc

Yeah I've done that before, but I found the tap a bit fiddly. Now I use plastic bottles with a carbonation screw on top and a rubber bung on the end if I want to fill a glass bottle. Connects to gas first to purge, then onto the beer.