• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 05:31:49 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Another infected brew

Started by Blueshed, July 20, 2013, 11:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metattron

Hmmm, get it out of the hotpress and loose the brew belt. I have one but only use it in the very coldest parts of winter. My fermentorium is a back bedroom with the radiator turned off most of the year. Temps on the sticky thermometer are 16-22C depending on the time of year.  I've found being on the low side is better than than the warm side.  If you're worried about your vinegar bleach mix invest in a small bottle of starsan. I bought a big bottle of it last year and not even used half of it yet. It's no-rinse and breaks down into food for your yeasties. Best investment a home brewer can make, and its reusable. Just remember it's a sterilizer, not a cleanser. Just use it to sterilize all your equipment before brewing and save it in a 5l bottle for bottling and the next brew. Get 3 or 4 brews out of a batch.
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

matthewdick23

mate- a lot of advice ur getting here is off the mark

everythin that touches your beer at every stage does not need to be sterile. that's mental.  don't fuck it round the floor and then use it as a mt, but it doesnt have to be sterile, esp pre boil

unless ur doing a beer that specifically asks for those high temps, then ur temps are crazy high

more likely that that sanitation id say

Ciderhead

Quote from: matthewdick23 on July 21, 2013, 09:58:56 PM
mate- a lot of advice ur getting here is off the mark

everythin that touches your beer at every stage does not need to be sterile. that's mental.  don't crappity smack it round the floor and then use it as a mt, but it doesnt have to be sterile, esp pre boil

Matthew, Blueshed highlighted a problem with a kit now go and wash your mouth out with Starsan, 90% of first time homebrewers problems result from poor sanitation and hygiene.
Don't be encouraging arse scratching and stirring at the same time or at least use your clean hand ;)
Ask any pro brewer in a commercial operation how much of his time is spent around sanitation.

Metattron

True dat, this is kit brewing, sterilization is everything here.
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Dodge

Blueshead. I'm having a get together for midland brewers on sat 10th Aug and you are welcome to attend and stay over if you want.  It's to help with brewing  and to drink and to taste.

Well all are welcome!!😀

matthewdick23

ah, fair nuf- hadnt realised it was kit

my bad

LordEoin

It's the Kit Section!  ;D

Glad to hear you've figured out it was temps and not infection.
I'd probably still ditch the scratched up FV though. Small scratches are fine, but big ones hold nasties.

Someone asked earlier how to sterilize priming sugar. Just stick it into a saucepan with a half pint of water, and bring it to boil. Leave it cool down again before adding to the priming bucket. It also gets rid of problems with undisolved or unevenly disolved sugar.
My sugar sits around for ages,  so i always disolve it with boiling water just in case  :)

Blueshed

just put in an order for Star San, 33lt FV, bottle filling stick. plan on brewing over the bhol wend.

hope to pick up an old fridge and put the FV into it.

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: LordEoin on July 22, 2013, 03:38:45 PM
It's the Kit Section!  ;D

Glad to hear you've figured out it was temps and not infection.
I'd probably still ditch the scratched up FV though. Small scratches are fine, but big ones hold nasties.

Someone asked earlier how to sterilize priming sugar. Just stick it into a saucepan with a half pint of water, and bring it to boil. Leave it cool down again before adding to the priming bucket. It also gets rid of problems with undisolved or unevenly disolved sugar.
My sugar sits around for ages,  so i always disolve it with boiling water just in case  :)
I think refined sugar was originally used as a preservative. Its lethal. Leave a bowl of it on a counter top for years and no bug will go near it. I don't think it needs to be sterilized. Its why Carbonation Drops are so handy.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with one of the 5 star chemical (StarSan) guys about rinse free sanitizers. Water in many parts of the USA must be boiled (its not full of chlorine like Europe), so the idea of rinsing sterilized equipment with tap water horrifies them. Its why rinse free is important there. But not here, as we just fill up the fermenter with tap water anyway (kit brewing).
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

LordEoin

Well I recently binned a bag of sugar because there were some little black insect thingies in there.
Leave a bowl on the counter top and ants, your cat, dog, grubby fingers, dust, etc will go near it.
Although it won't go off, sugar will get 'dirty' just as easily as other things left sit around for a long time.
It's probably just me being paranoid, but i don't trust open packets unless they're stored airtight etc, even carb drops.

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: LordEoin on July 23, 2013, 01:27:32 AM
Well I recently binned a bag of sugar because there were some little black insect thingies in there.
Leave a bowl on the counter top and ants, your cat, dog, grubby fingers, dust, etc will go near it.
Although it won't go off, sugar will get 'dirty' just as easily as other things left sit around for a long time.
It's probably just me being paranoid, but i don't trust open packets unless they're stored airtight etc, even carb drops.
Too true. Also, if the sugar gets damp at all, then its game over!
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Blueshed

got my starsan and have some spray bottles, how much starsan should I add to 300ml of water.

Ciderhead

Dosage rates on back of bottle
Keep it the same bottle and mark, as I once used my SS mister instead of my water to reduce foam on a boil over.

Blueshed

Quote from: Ciderhead on August 05, 2013, 03:50:22 PM
Dosage rates on back of bottle
Keep it the same bottle and mark, as I once used my SS mister instead of my water to reduce foam on a boil over.

1oz to 5 gallons of water and I got a 300ml of water, so about 5ml of starsan at a guess

LordEoin

1oz to 1 gallon
= 30ml to 3785ml (us) or 4546ml(uk)
= 2.5ml to 300ml(us) or 2ml to 300ml(uk) - (5 times concentrated)
so 1oz to 5gallons = 0.4ml or .05ml

Answer: Half a milliliter.