• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 04:00:52 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Help identify - Stange yeasty thingies

Started by imark, July 12, 2013, 06:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imark

I built up some rochefort harvested yeast and made a 2L starter. I had to cancel my planned brew so harvested off the yeast into a jar for a week or so and put it in the fridge.

So I took it out today to get a new starter going with it and as I left it warm to room temp on the worktop. There were little cream mole like slightly raised blotches on the surface of the darker layer initially and as it warmed I noticed some strange clumpy bits start to float to the top. See the picture below.

I don't get a bad smell to indicate bacterial infection but I havent seen this sort of thing when I've done this before. Can anybody cast some light on this?

marceldesailly

just the yeast warming up an getting active. any worries taste the wort before you pitch

Tom

It's probably caused by carbon dioxide bubbles falling out of solution as it all warms up, but still being trapped to the yeast. Nothing to worry about at all, visually.

imark

Thanks guys. I wanted some 2nd opinions and that's good enough for me.  I think it was the rapid warming due to the unseasonably good weather.  8)

Tom

Bear that temperature in mind when you're fermenting. You might need to find a cooler place than usual to avoid unwanted flavours.

mr hoppy

Rochefort is an absolutely savage yeast. I used it a couple of times and it's well able to ferment out 80-90%, nice and fruity (raisins/stone fruit) but not that spicy/phenolic: great in lower ABV beers as well.