• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 02, 2024, 07:15:01 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

What Do You Guys Store Whole Grain In ?.

Started by Greg2013, March 22, 2015, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

At the moment i have a few full bags of whole grain and a few partial bags,probably 100kg total most of which came from recent group buy thanks to Simon "Groom" ;D. Currently it is in the original sacks but some of these were splits so are open and i worry about damp etc getting in if i continue to store them like this. I need a longer term solution that is both cheap and reliable that will keep the grain safe for up to and including 12 months or more in an attic. I was thinking of the buckets below so let me know what ye think to these. ;D

http://www.alpack.ie/VC101_10lt_Buckets_Pack_of_5/Default.573.html   For the smaller amounts of grain.

http://www.alpack.ie/VC105__30_Litre_Bucket_Sold_Individually/Default.710.html For the larger amounts of grain.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Vermelho

I got some large (100l i think) sealable plastic blue containers from that chap on adverts. They had salt in them or something. Anyway, I washed them out and store all the grain and malt mill in there. It does the job great.

RichC

I use old fermenters and some caustic soda drums i got from a dairy farmer

Greg2013

Quote from: Vermelho on March 22, 2015, 02:17:25 PM
I got some large (100l i think) sealable plastic blue containers from that chap on adverts. They had salt in them or something. Anyway, I washed them out and store all the grain and malt mill in there. It does the job great.

Yep those blue drums would be handy alright as you can stack them and all i believe,atm so it's looking like the 30 litre buckets from alpack are my only option. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

molc

Old fermenters for the base grain and those Ikea 1 Euro glass jars for the speciality grain. Works a charm.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Greg2013

Quote from: molc on March 22, 2015, 05:44:54 PM
Old fermenters for the base grain and those Ikea 1 Euro glass jars for the speciality grain. Works a charm.

Will have to be new buckets fermenters i'm afraid all mine have holes in the lids  :P

Ikea €1 glass jars ??? ???

molc

Yeah a few of mine had holes as well. I just popped gaffa tape on them. Kept in the house, so no rats to eat through it.
The glass jars hold 1kg, but the grain seems to stay fresh. I rolled in and bout 20 of them :D
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Greg2013

Quote from: molc on March 22, 2015, 08:04:11 PM
Yeah a few of mine had holes as well. I just popped gaffa tape on them. Kept in the house, so no rats to eat through it.
The glass jars hold 1kg, but the grain seems to stay fresh. I rolled in and bout 20 of them :D

Hmmm didn't think of the old gaffa tape,i might get away with just buying one large bucket so if that's the case(want to leave one fv empty just in case lol),might still get the mutipack of the 10litre ones as well though for smaller grain amounts.I am hoping to have them next week so i can weigh out what i have and do a stock check before storing. ;D

If ya find a link to those glass jars you might stick it up here please,though i would have to get them shipped to me being that i live outside the pale  :P