• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 09, 2024, 01:12:16 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Boiling DME question

Started by oinkely, November 25, 2015, 03:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oinkely

HI All,

Just a quick one.  A lot of the kit hack recipes I have used / seen seem to recommend boiling about 500gms of DME in maybe 2 litres of water and doing your hop additions to that mix.  They might then call for another kilo of DME to be added to the fermenter with the tin of goo.

My question is - any issues with boiling the entire amount of DME rather than just the smaller amount?  I have been doing this lately as adding it to the fermenter results in it clumping like a bad thing.  I have tried the swirling method and it does work better, but I still end up with clumps.  Dissolving the whole amount in boiling water seems a good way to avoid the clumps altogether.........

So - anyone got an opinion on boiling the full whack of DME?

Cheers

LordEoin

That's no problem at all.
Boiling it for a long time might darken it a bit though.

HomeBrewWest

The trick is to boil the water in a pot, and then turn off the heat before you add the DME (or LME). If you need to boil it further, make sure its fully dissolved before turning the heat back on.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

oinkely

Thanks for the replies folks.

I'll stick with what I'm at so.