• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 03, 2024, 12:38:49 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Garden County American Ale Comp

Started by helmet, April 12, 2015, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st Place Maja Kristek    Ceductive Citra  36 Pts

2nd Place  Jakub Scheibe  AA   43 Pts

3rd Place   Damian Fahy  Breaking Bad Brown 38 Pts

To other entrants you will get your individual scores soon.

johnrm

helmet

Jacob

Leann ull

I have met Maja on many occasions at Altech RDS Nationals etc and I knew she was very knowledgeable about beer, what I didn't know she is also clearly an accomplished brewer.

I had the pleasure of judging her beer in BOS and all judges agreed it was the outstanding beer of the competition and the perfect balance of Malt and Hops.

I do hope she will share that recipe with us now  :)

nigel_c

Today way my first chance, and privilege of judging for a NHC event. Very well organized and ran without any visible problems. From what I judged and saw the quality was low. A lot of serious basic mistakes like temp control of fermentation and from what I saw PLEASE READ THE STYLE GUIDELINES before entering.

A lot of chocolate brown beers in the Amber catodry.
Freshness of ingredients also a key factor.
Several of the judges felt that some of the beers entered were beers that were entered into and did well in the Nationals buy are now past their best.
Great day today lads but hard work.

danger_zone

fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

Shane Phelan

I would really plead with the brewers who got a low score to put up their score sheet and their recipe and talk about their brewing process.  We were discussing at the competition that one or two changes to your brewing process could make a massive difference to the final result. These things could be not using fresh ingredients, yeast management, sanitation, water quality, fermentation temperatures etc...

It would be of huge benefit to everyone to have this discussion as we could all learn from it.

I'm going to print off my scoresheets and hand them out at the next capital meet for people to read the feedback as they sample my beer and taste the flaws for themselves. Capital have agreed yesterday that we are no longer going to be blowing sunshine up peoples arses at meets from now on, if your beer has minor flaws at one of our meets they are going to be laid out on the table. In fairness we have always flagged serious flaws and usually solved the cause of the problem. 

In addition to this and I think we are going to post about this separately but the habit of encouraging people to send in their beers to competitions for "feedback" needs to stop. The first port of call for for feedback is at your club meets, you should be entering competitions with the aim of winning. The feedback from competitions should be mainly commenting on minor flaws that allow you to put the final tweaks that will help move your beer from the "good" category to "great" category.
Brew Log

helmet

Good idea, I'll stick mine up later. Got a 22 for my PA and 30 for my AA. Diacetyl seems to be my problem. I've a fridge put aside and an STC winging it's way from China. Was going to brew today, but I think I'll hold off until I have my fermentation temp sorted!

Shane Phelan

Yeah I remember judging a few with diacetyl. Do you know what temperature your ferment got up to?
Brew Log

helmet

I think it might have gotten a high as 24. Hopefully the auld STC will be my saviour!

cronan

Shanna

Quote from: shiny on May 24, 2015, 10:22:18 AM
I would really plead with the brewers who got a low score to put up their score sheet and their recipe and talk about their brewing process.  We were discussing at the competition that one or two changes to your brewing process could make a massive difference to the final result. These things could be not using fresh ingredients, yeast management, sanitation, water quality, fermentation temperatures etc...
Shiny as a judge would appreciate your feedback on the  following http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,9820.msg121351.html#msg121351

South Dublin have had Rossa around a few times and no fear of smoke or otherwise being blown up anybodies arse or otherwise in terms of flaws being outlined :) Frustrating part of things going wrong is not being able to definitively figure out the cause of some problems. Personally I have received negative feedback on beers which is hard to take sometimes especially when its not clear as to what actually causes it. Temperature control, sanitation, pitching sufficient quantities of yeast and learning to let the beer finish before transferring it are all things that have been pointed out in the past. I am slowing trying to eliminate these by changes to process and equipment but just when I think I have it cracked something else that was not a problem previously crops up. Sometimes this hobby is infuriating :)

Shanna 
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Leann ull

Remember entrants the links to the scores aren't gonna be there after 4 weeks for readers of the forum in the future!

Leann ull

You should come out to one of our meets its like doing 10 rounds with Mike Tyson, why? because shit beer is shit beer and we all want to help each other work out what their problem in what they brewed is instead of them thinking its ok  :(