• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 28, 2024, 12:01:22 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hi From Lucan

Started by diarmuid, February 10, 2015, 09:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diarmuid

Hi I'm brand new to homebrewing. Just started last weekend with a HBC Blonde Ale extract kit.
All went well (I hope) Bubbling away nicely.
no bad smells or anything so hopefully all is ok.
My one big regret was not getting a wort chiller as my pot didnt leave much space for water and Ice in the sink.
Cooling took over 2 hours is this likley to have a vey bad effect on the beer?

Looking forward to brewing more already.

Beerbuddha

Welcome to the addiction.

I dont think 2 hours will have any negative effects on the beer as long as no contamination made its way into wort.

The faster you cool it down and close it up in a fermenter the less likelyhood of an infection so you should be ok.

I think over in Oz due to lack of water they leave the wort for 24hrs to cool naturally and no ill effect !

My advice is to take it slow and don't complicate your procedure with extra parts ie plate chiller..pumps ect untill your happy with each step your at with no off flavours in beer..... otherwise when things go wrong there are too many variables to look at.

IBD Member

DEMPSEY

Welcome to the club. If your free on the last Thursday of the month the Liffey brewers 2014 club of the year meet up in the Lucan County bar. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Ozbrewer

Quote from: B.B. on February 11, 2015, 08:38:53 AM
I think over in Oz due to lack of water they leave the wort for 24hrs to cool naturally and no ill effect !

Lol. It's not lack of water, it's due to being charged for water and the fact that the ground water temp is about 23 Celsius. You just can't get good enough cooling in most places. 

lordstilton

Charging for water...thats scandalous!! Thank god you'd never see that happening here

diarmuid

Thanks for the welcome guys.
I'll definitely try make it to the county bar.
Regarding getting more kit I'm sorry but I'm a sucker for gadgets.
but luckily I have access to a lot of stuff through work gonna make an immersion chiller before my next brew.

Paying for water not going to comment in case I get caught up in a dawn raid ;D ;D