• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 12:06:31 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast being a bit mad.

Started by Tom, March 25, 2013, 12:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

March 25, 2013, 12:26:17 PM Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:26:50 PM by tom.moville
Well, this is two beers in a row now (~both with this mauribrew ale yeast) that have done this. I'm not sure why, but if it helps, the brown crap is on the South-Eastern half of the fermenter. Mad or what?

Jacob

Ciderhead

March 25, 2013, 12:46:12 PM #2 Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:46:59 PM by Ciderhead
Its a rolling yeast boil its cycling away cold or warm surfaces I am guessing?, turn it 180 degrees and post pictures.
I sit for ages watching my dancing yeast with a 800 lumen torch on the other side its my ale lava lamp, very therapeutic. 

Tom

I sit giggling at the fermentation lock for my cheap/anoracy thrills, but I'm going to give your Lavale-lampTM a try. I'll rotate the beer with the next batch.

Ciderhead

March 25, 2013, 01:10:59 PM #4 Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:11:18 PM by Ciderhead
QuoteLavale-lampTM a try. .

Liking what you did there  :)

biertourist

March 26, 2013, 10:53:44 PM #5 Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:54:37 PM by biertourist
The brown goop on the top of the yeast krausen in that head is mostly unisomerized hop acids; you can and probably should skim it off.

The recipe that was posted here is INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY high in protein. Off-the-chart high in protein, in fact.  Six row lager malt AND wheat -this is WAY too much protein to be doing a normal single temp infusion with. 

The malt contains very large molecular weight proteins that need to be broken down to polypeptides, smaller peptides, and amino acids via a protein rest.  Large molecular weight proteins create chill haze and actually negatively impact head, small molecular weight peptides HELP beer head.

You've heard before that most modern, "well-modified" malts don't need a protein rest any more -Well the grist that this recipe has includes some not so well modified and very high protein content constituents. You should do a protein rest if you're making this recipe. -Mash in fairly thick and hold the protein rest for 15 minutes then top up with boiling water to get to your targeted saccrification temp.

There's loads of other things that could negatively impact the head, definitely including oils from the oats but the large percentage of high molecular weight proteins that you'd get in a single temp infusion mash with this grist stands out and is SCREAMING to have a protein rest.

Adam

Ciderhead

March 26, 2013, 11:06:06 PM #6 Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:06:29 PM by Ciderhead
You are speed reading and your response is also to another post about Head retention? Adam ;)

biertourist

DEMPSEY

QuoteCrap, you're right...  :-[

Adam

ha ha welcome back Adam :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Padraic

QuoteThe brown goop on the top of the yeast krausen in that head is mostly unisomerized hop acids; you can and probably should skim it off.

What effect will the unisomerized hop acids have Adam?

Cloudiness? Will there be associated off flavours?