• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 02:42:10 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Craft Range Stout

Started by LordEoin, May 26, 2014, 09:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

A bit of time in the bottle seems to have sorted out the excess bitter.
They're 6 weeks in the bottle now and they taste great!
It doesn't taste like any commercial stout but if i had to compare i'd say Guinness but sweeter and hoppier - guinness use no late hops but his is dryhopped.
I'm really enjoying this pint.

So.. a general final review:
Appearance: Black as Enda's soul. I had to reduce it to a mouthful before I could get much light through it and it's crystal clear amber/gold. good head, lasting thin, moderate lacing.
Aroma: roast malt (kinda like toast) and slightly floral.
taste: nice balance of roast malt, bittering, moderate sweetness. The dryhop gives it a nice extra 'something' that's missing in commercial stouts, probably not to style but welcome. immediate aftertaste is moderate bitter. Lingering aftertaste is mildly bitter roast malt.

Overall: Yum. The nicest stout kit I've tried, but be prepared to age it for a couple of months before drinking, and you need your own priming sugar (75grams should do it, i used 100grams and it was a bit over-carbonated)

PS: just kissed SWMBO and she commented 'You taste nice' - seems she likes it too!

CB_Phil

Great review
So would you rate it higher than the st. Peters then?

LordEoin

Garry

I think I have one st Peter's left. I'll bring it Friday.

LordEoin

i drank the last craft stout last week :(
I'll see if i kept any back in 'the cellar' (box under the table for tasting in a few months time)