• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 04:17:13 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

100L-200L system for once-off use/rent

Started by cruiscinlan, December 12, 2017, 11:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruiscinlan

Just wondering if there's folk on the forum that have a 100L or 200L system they would allow others to brew on to make for a special event?

TheSumOfAllBeers

It depends on what you want to do - those 3v setups are rarely mobile unless built to be moved around, and even then you are going to need a good sized van.

BIAB setups are more mobile at that scale, but you need mounting points at that scale.

Basically do you need beer, or do you actually need to brew at your event.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on December 13, 2017, 12:13:59 PM

Basically do you need beer, or do you actually need to brew at your event.

Sorry for being unclear.  Beer for the event as opposed to brewing at it.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Then you need access to the 100-200L fermentation capacity also. Which is a tougher proposition.

If you found someone with this kind of kit, you could ask them to brew it for you, with you and your friends supplying ingredients and labour.

Verify if what you plan to do with the resulting beer is actually legal too. You are likely crossing a few grey areas, as is the original Brewer. You are more likely to get assistance if your intended use is defensible under the law with no consequence for the brewer.

I am familiar with home brewing laws aka domestic excise exceptions in the uk, but not the Irish equivalent.

nigel_c

A lot of people on the forum have setups that can do 40-50L batches. Probably easier to do several batches on a kit that size the trying to source a 200L one.

HomeBrewWest

A customer of ours has a full 200 litre syetem with excess capacity and is prepared to rent it, or brew on it for you. He is fully licensed and fully compliant with all excise, taxes, etc. PM for details.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on December 13, 2017, 05:46:35 PM
A customer of ours has a full 200 litre syetem with excess capacity and is prepared to rent it, or brew on it for you. He is fully licensed and fully compliant with all excise, taxes, etc. PM for details.

To the OP : check out this option. You are unlikely to save any money this way (if that was your intent) but there might be some extra services that they can perform easily, that you might struggle with, such as kegging, if that is something your event needs.

You might also get better advice from them about being street legal.

Of course if you are comfortable with the fermentation side, there is nothing to stop you producing wort on their kit, packaging it in sanitary vessels and driving home with it same day to pitch in your fermentation space. This beer is legitimately home brewed and not subject to any taxes.

It may be subject to restrictions on how homebrew is distributed or shared at events. Just like any homebrew either.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on December 13, 2017, 06:20:17 PM

To the OP : check out this option. You are unlikely to save any money this way (if that was your intent) but there might be some extra services that they can perform easily, that you might struggle with, such as kegging, if that is something your event needs.

Thanks for the pointers.  It's less about saving money and more about saving time and labour.  It would be horrendous to have to make 300L-400L in 23L batches.

I have a couple of empty kegs that could be used to transport/ferment in but I've no experience of cleaning them (am unable to open a U-type one I have for instance).

SprocketFuel

Quote from: cruiscinlan on December 13, 2017, 09:01:36 PM
It would be horrendous to have to make 300L-400L in 23L batches.

5/6 people with grainfather, bulldogs or the likes in a space for two days doing 4 brews each would cover it easy enough

nigel_c

This is where local clubs could really shine.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: cruiscinlan on December 13, 2017, 09:01:36 PM
Thanks for the pointers.  It's less about saving money and more about saving time and labour.  It would be horrendous to have to make 300L-400L in 23L batches.

I have a couple of empty kegs that could be used to transport/ferment in but I've no experience of cleaning them (am unable to open a U-type one I have for instance).

Well 300-400L is starting to climb a bit, but it is still doable. With 2x 50L fermenters and a 50L brewlength kit, you can fill both in a day. When you package up, refill in another day, and you are at your 200L target.

Your fermentation OTOH is a problem you need to think about more though. You may struggle to temp control the volume of beer being made, if you are currently only doing 23L batches. This time of year you can get away with a lot, if its fermented in a cold part of the house, and it should be cold enough to reliably brew cheap crowd pleaser specials like Kolschs.

Clarity is going to be an issue if you dont have the ability to crash cool, so you may need to restrict yourself to yeasts that floc & compact well.

You also really need to think about packaging and dispense. Without knowing anything about your event I cant recommend much, but quality and professional standards of dispense start to matter a lot more when your attendees are exclusively supping your homebrew.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: SprocketFuel on December 13, 2017, 11:36:39 PM

5/6 people with grainfather, bulldogs or the likes in a space for two days doing 4 brews each would cover it easy enough

It could be done alright but from previous experience it'd never work co-ordinating so many people and kits. Nor would it be likely people would go to that effort for an event they're not going to.

johnrm

Sure its no different than doing a barrel brew.
10 x 20l is done all the time.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: cruiscinlan on December 14, 2017, 03:56:01 PM
Quote from: SprocketFuel on December 13, 2017, 11:36:39 PM

It could be done alright but from previous experience it'd never work co-ordinating so many people and kits. Nor would it be likely people would go to that effort for an event they're not going to.

Yeah I am with you on that. The styles of beer that do barrels well, benefit from the blending of the beers, and can tolerate a little bit of O2 pickup from the filling (sours, impy stouts, barley wines). I haven't seen too many barrel aged pilsner projects ...

However you decide to build up your stockpile, you should probably avoid blending or mixing the contents of the fermenters. Better to have some slight variability between batches than risk the usual problems that come with blending.

cruiscinlan

Quote from: johnrm on December 14, 2017, 04:15:50 PM
Sure its no different than doing a barrel brew.
10 x 20l is done all the time.

Well they do and they don't, it's a lot of work and organisation. At the end of it you get to take back what you've put in, which wouldn't be an option here.