• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 05:49:28 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Wicklow Hops Company Yeast Thread

Started by Thewicklowhopscompany, January 26, 2019, 10:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewicklowhopscompany

Around 14% but I would defo make a good starter to build up some really high cell count for that recipe.

Cheers,
Philip

Hingo

Excellent cheers!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

JohnnyJohnJohns

Hey, I was looking at picking up a Kveik, specifically Hornindal strain. Any you'd recommend from your range?

molc

Used the sample of the Wall I got at one of the meetups there this week and have to say very impressed so far. Took off in 1.060 wort within 12 hours and it's working away solidly. So convenient to just pitch and not think about a starter etc. Def will be buying some for fresh pitches in the future.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Shanna

Ditto what Colm said I used some of the sample of the pintman in an Irish stout of 1.052. Lovely flavour that it made from the roast and loved the convenience of just shaking the container and pitching it in. Will definitely use more of it in the future.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Thewicklowhopscompany

Quote from: JohnnyJohnJohns on February 23, 2019, 11:24:45 AM
Hey, I was looking at picking up a Kveik, specifically Hornindal strain. Any you'd recommend from your range?

Bjorn is Hornindal! My personal preference is the Valkeryie strain though!

Thewicklowhopscompany

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I have a few more strains landing in the next couple of weeks. So keep an eye out.

JohnnyJohnJohns

Quote from: Thewicklowhopscompany on February 24, 2019, 11:38:05 PM
Quote from: JohnnyJohnJohns on February 23, 2019, 11:24:45 AM

Bjorn is Hornindal! My personal preference is the Valkeryie strain though!

If you don't mind me asking what is it about the Valkeryie that you prefer?

Great to have access to these locally!

JohnnyJohnJohns

Got these two strains, not sure either will be ideal in an oatmeal stout but thought it would be worth finding out.

greystashlawless

Have an Pale Malt/Mosaic SMaSH fermenting at the moment using Bjorn Kveik Yeast.

Fermenting @35c, 3 days in now and its nearly fermented out. I'll be bottling it this weekend i'd say. Lovely fruity smells coming from the fermentation chamber.

BrewDorg

March 15, 2019, 04:04:47 PM #25 Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:02:00 PM by BrewDorg
@WHC - Can you run through your Kveik strains and let us know the origin strain of each or whether it's a mixed culture? ie. Sigmund, Rivenes, Stranda, Hornindal, Saure, Ebbegarden etc

Would be handy to know which we're using as for example some can be dried, others can't, some should be top cropped, other should be bottom collected.

Cheers

JohnnyJohnJohns

Found some detail on the strains here: https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/kveik.75453/page-27

The Bjorn in an oatmeal stout is lovely, quite dry and clean but with a slight hint of citrus, really nice. Perfect Paddy's Day pint and ready in just over a week!

The Valkeryie in the same brew seems a little dull by comparison and attenuated a little less, that combined with how it impacts bitterness makes it drinkable but not as delicious as the Bjorn in stout, there's a funny too sweet sharp bitterness effect. I'd probably avoid it for beers with a 60 minute hop addition.

BrewDorg

March 15, 2019, 09:43:13 PM #27 Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:04:47 AM by BrewDorg
Thanks for the link, I'll have to read through it all. Saw this so far:

Lagertha is a Stranda Kveik
Ragnar is a Sigmund/Voss Kveik
Bjorn is a Hornindal Kveik
Valkyrie is an Ebbegarden Kveik

Edit. Read through it, think that's all of them now 8)

Thewicklowhopscompany

Quote from: BrewDorg on March 15, 2019, 09:43:13 PM
Thanks for the link, I'll have to read through it all. Saw this so far:

Lagertha is a Stranda Kveik
Ragnar is a Sigmund/Voss Kveik
Bjorn is a Hornindal Kveik
Valkyrie is an Ebbegarden Kveik

Edit. Read through it, think that's all of them now 8)

You are absolutely correct!  Good detective work. Il be at Nationals next weekend and will have a few samples of yeast kviek and non kviek, if anyone wants some.

molc

Oh that would be very interesting. Been tempted to try some of the kviek yeasts but haven't taken the plunge yet

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter