• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 01:55:06 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

WHC Ubbe Kveik yeast

Started by mick02, September 18, 2019, 11:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mick02

I've a question to those of you that have used the WHC Ubbe Kveik yeast.

I'm currently fermenting my second batch with it. First batch was a simple Blonde Ale. The second batch (currently fermenting) is a Foreign Extra stout. Both of these batches were fermented at 35C. Now I've used this yeast on a 500L commercial batch and it was done and dusted in less than 2 days however on a homebrew scale I'm not getting anywhere close to that kind of time. The Blonde Ale took about 8 days to finish up and it looks as though the FE Stout is going to be similar.

I've added nutrient and pitched the amount that came from WHC but I'm still getting the same results.

Any ideas what's causing the delay? Is it that I am only oxygenating the wort using splashing? Have I pitched too much/too little?

Feedback is welcome.

Mick
NHC Committee member

fishjam45 (Colin)

Hey Mick,

I've used most of the WHC Kveiks by now at this stage and I've found that underpitching them & extra yeast nutrient is key.  They do better with slightly higher starting gravities too.  Sometimes I might make a really small starter the day before brewing so that its pretty much at high krasuen when it goes into the FV and has pretty much no lag time and takes off like a rocket.
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

mick02

Quote from: fishjam45 (Colin) on September 18, 2019, 01:35:44 PM
Hey Mick,

I've used most of the WHC Kveiks by now at this stage and I've found that underpitching them & extra yeast nutrient is key.  They do better with slightly higher starting gravities too.  Sometimes I might make a really small starter the day before brewing so that its pretty much at high krasuen when it goes into the FV and has pretty much no lag time and takes off like a rocket.
Cheers Colin, yeah I had no problem with lag times and the yeast attenuates really well but it still takes 7/8 days to reach FG. For example the FE Stout that is in the fermenter was put in there at 16.30 on Sunday afternoon. OG 1060. Took a reading at lunch time and it's currently sitting at 1026. My calculations are that it will reach FG in about 5/6 days total which is not that much quicker than other yeast. Just wondering if anyone else had seen similar behaviour? I tasted the Blonde Ale and it's clean and well attenuated but again, took about 6/7 days to finish up.
NHC Committee member

fishjam45 (Colin)

I have not come across those times at all, that's strange alright. The time taken there is more similar to a standard ale yeast.

We'll ask the expert on Saturday  :)
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/