• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 05:06:53 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

#2 Rubber Bung.

Started by Greg2013, September 23, 2013, 10:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

I ma going to give a lash at building my own cheap bottle filler but i need a rubber bung that will stopper the neck of a coopers pet bottle, apparently these are #2 ? Not sure what exact dimensions this is, i know Shane had a look and unfortunately HBC don't have one this size so i suspect they may not be easy to come by.

I am not going to pair one down, i couldn't be arsed TBH. Preferrably a bung thats pre drilled to take a bottle wand, i think its 3/8" ?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Hop Bomb

I made my own from a bottling wand & pared down rubber bung. It was total shit haha. Ended up buying one of these instead:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perlick-Growler-Bottle-Filler-Complement-Set-Counter-Pressure-Filler-Kit-/171134189073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d8647e11

I also bought the little attachment that fits inside my perlick tap. Works brilliantly. I give my bottles a squirt of c02 first before filling. The bungs are very soft so are easy squeeze to release the pressure inside the bottle. Then cap on foam.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Greg2013

Quote from: Hop Bomb on September 24, 2013, 08:43:57 AM
I made my own from a bottling wand & pared down rubber bung. It was total shit haha. Ended up buying one of these instead:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perlick-Growler-Bottle-Filler-Complement-Set-Counter-Pressure-Filler-Kit-/171134189073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27d8647e11

I also bought the little attachment that fits inside my perlick tap. Works brilliantly. I give my bottles a squirt of c02 first before filling. The bungs are very soft so are easy squeeze to release the pressure inside the bottle. Then cap on foam.

What are the little red seals in that for ? That's basically the setup i was going to build, looks like i would have had to order the bung from USA anyway so that might be a better job? Also i dont have a perlick tap lol.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Hop Bomb

The rubber seals are spares for the nipple attachment for perlick taps. Pretty sure you could just squeeze that tubing onto a piece of the bottling wand & then stick that into a piece of silicone tubing & slide it over your tap.

St. Fursey

Did you get that attachment from MoreBeer.com or somewhere else?

Greg2013

Thing is i have a bottling wand already, i have the tubing i think, i really only need a drilled #2 bung tbh, just don't know where to get one.

alealex

Get a wine cork and drill it. Cheapest, quickest option.
Bad day brewing is better than good day working.

Metattron

I got a bung off eBay for mine. I'll dig out a link later if I still have it, if not I may have bought a spare though not sure. I'll get back to you.
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Hop Bomb

Quote from: St. Fursey on September 24, 2013, 11:11:45 AM

Did you get that attachment from MoreBeer.com or somewhere else?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Growler-Filler-Attachment-for-Perlick-525SS-Draft-Faucet-Stainless-Steel-/140917067903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cf4fd07f

Metattron

The one I used was actually a no. 17.  I just tested my filler in a coopers plastic bottle and it almost slips inside, so a no.19 may be better for them.  King scientific have them on ebay and amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&orderID=&seller=A25JDOOGFEO9NF

search their stuff for "bung" to see the various sizes.  I think the measurements are bottom width, top width, height.  Coopers bottles have a wider neck than glass, but a 19 should be fine for both.

In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob