• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 23, 2024, 11:03:37 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Dodgy water

Started by La brewski, May 22, 2019, 10:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La brewski

After being 100percent sanitized and stuck by the rules my last ipa tasted awful more like a cheap cider very strong apple and spurned I can only blame my tap water as I try to keep costs  down instead of buying bottled water could a Brita filter be used  to improve quality

Raxy

Are you doing anything with the tap water? I made good beer with tap water treated with Camden tablets. It depends what water soupy you have though.
I wouldn't bother with Brita. If you want to improve the water get a reverse osmosis system & then add back in what you need. I have 1 arriving next week.

Tom

Cheap cider flavours would come from yeast, I think. Acetaldehyde and another chemical is the culprit. Too much simple sugars, yeast variety and warm fermentations can cause it. It's a common complaint with kit&kilos.

RobShamrock

What IPA Kit?  I use tap water all the time yet to have a bad batch!

Will_D

The quality of your tap water is probably the last thing you need to worry about wrt to funny or off flavours.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

CH

It's caused by premature removal of beer off the yeast as the yeast cleans up beer towards the end. How long, and be honest as everybody fucks up around here and we all learn from each other did you ferment for?

RobShamrock

Looking back on some of your previous post if its the Razoback IPA you did something off for sure. I have one on now
its a good two week min. for me to ferment that one and at least a month conditioning

TheSumOfAllBeers

La Brewski: If its green apple it may go away in the bottle as the conditioning beer continues to mop it up.

The main reasons for its existence:
- too much simple sugars in the wort (common kit & kilo/brew 'enhancer' problem)
- not pitching enough yeast
- low viability of the yeast

La brewski

The razorback turned out fine taste wise but didn't carb properly my first time batch priming definetly the last sour apple flavour was 4 fingered Jack ipa left it in primary for an extra 11 days total of 25 days primary so not taken off the yeast too early

LordEoin

Try switch out the yeast in the next one (eg US05) and follow the temperature guidelines on the datasheet. Keep the temperatre stable and give it plenty of time