• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:01:32 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

To rack or not

Started by La brewski, June 27, 2019, 08:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La brewski

So I normally use a muslin bag when adding hop pellets but this time I  just threw them in because instructions say to leave them for 8 days I'm hoping they will sink to the trub question is will they sink and sit or break up and float around in this case if I transfer to another vessel using some sort of filter will I get a nice clear beer

JMK8

You could try cold crashing for 24 hours before bottling.

LordEoin

if they're floating, give the fermenter a few punches around the side. That's usually enough to send them to Davey Jones' Trub Locker.

DEMPSEY

8 days is alot for dry hopping as you get the goodie from the first day really. 3 to 4 days is often the best after that you run the risk of getting some vegetable flavour from the hop material.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Jonnycheech

The hops will drop given time and they will settle on top of the trub and yeast that are already sitting at the bottom of your fermentor. They won't form a very compact layer, so they can be disturbed easily. Best to keep this in mind when moving the fermentor or racking the beer off.

Are you planning to bottle or keg? If you're bottling you may need to transfer to a bottling bucket with a siphon that has some sort of filter, otherwise you get a lot of hop particle in the bottles or your bottling wand may just be dispensing hop matter for the first few bottles, depending on how much hops you used. The small mesh hop spiders can at as a great filter if you attach to the bottom of your siphon. If you're kegging just transfer straight into the keg with your filtered siphon.

As Dempsey said, 8 days is probably a bit too long, no need to go over 4 days. I generally go with 3 - 4 days myself.

Whether you get a clear beer comes down to how much dry hops you added and the time for conditioning. If you add a large amount of hops you'll always have a haze. You can use a clearing agent like gelatin, but be careful, as this can strip some flavour away too.

Good luck!
Tapped: FES, NEIPA, CocoIMS, Flanders 2018, Passion Fruit/Peach BW
Fermentors: Raspberry Wheat, Session IPA
Bottled: Cherry Lambic 2019

Water_Wolf

When transferring to a bottling bucket, I tie a nylon stocking to the end of the output tube on the siphon. I don't tie it tightly over the end - I leave a few inches hanging loose so that it acts like a bag. This seems to remove nearly all hop debris. Don't forget to sanitise the stocking! Also don't attempt to put the stocking on the input end of your syphon as this will inevitably clog up!

La brewski

Thought it was a bit long 8 days also but just following instructions

TheSumOfAllBeers

its a common fault of kit instructions: tell the user what they want to hear or pad out the instructions with false advice to accomodate lack of experience.

The 8 days thing is probably to guarantee debris clearing.

La brewski

Going to rack tonight with a muslin bag on the end of tube and bottle tomorrow so smells beautiful now can't wait to taste her    it's hopptimus prime

La brewski

Thank God I did fair bit of stuff floating around

nigel_c

Do you have access to a fridge for brewing? A day or 2 at as close to zero as you can will drop a beer crystal clear. Also look into gelatin as a clearing agent. You shouldn't need to bag the syphon.