• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 05:54:12 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Great Smoker Deal, topic split from other thread and merged. New deal €89

Started by Eoin, September 25, 2015, 08:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon_

Eoin

They'll be sold out by the end of the weekend, a few beers on a few more of the lads and this'll be sale of the century :P

They'll be thiking wtf? who buys a smoker at 2AM on a Saturday...????

Bubbles

Quote from: Eoin on September 25, 2015, 10:04:54 AM
Quote from: Bubbles on September 25, 2015, 09:49:24 AM
I think we're eventually going to need a BBQ sub-forum! :)

I'm planning on getting one in the new year, can't wait.

This one is a steal man, you'll regret it if you don't.

must.. resist!  >:D

Pheeel

Quote from: Eoin on September 25, 2015, 11:20:39 AM
Not a lot of arm-twisting was involved....

No. Been looking for a smoker for a while. Doing a 4 hour smoke on the gas BBQ is too expensive!!
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Eoin

Quote from: Pheeel on September 25, 2015, 01:09:05 PM
Quote from: Eoin on September 25, 2015, 11:20:39 AM
Not a lot of arm-twisting was involved....

No. Been looking for a smoker for a while. Doing a 4 hour smoke on the gas BBQ is too expensive!!

This thing looks to be the business in any case, next stop, group buy on wood blocks....

Simon_

next stop after that - watch hours of smoking youtube videos

Eoin

Quote from: Simon F on September 25, 2015, 01:33:32 PM
next stop after that - watch hours of smoking youtube videos

Are Cheech and Chong on Youtube :P?

Hop Bomb

Thats a good price but it'll need loads of mods so put aside at least another 80e. These types of smokers are really leaky, dont have any air intakes apart from a single hole in the bottom. You will need high temp gasket tape to seal every door, seam, lid, etc. Plus at least two, if not three air intakes for the bottom. A few more dial thermometers (one for each cooking layer) & you'll need to make a raised charcoal basket also (as fire burns out if ash cant drop below).

I modded the arse out of my brinkmann. Thats the best smoker mod thread to follow on the net as the smokers are pretty similar.

This one here is the best possible example:  http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

These guys sell seasoned oak  http://ecofuel.ie/   I stick one log on top of my lumpwood fire.

Hope this doesnt sound like im pissing on your chips. Just trying to help & have been through the same woes on similar smoker. Happy smoking!
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Eoin

Quote from: Hop Bomb on September 25, 2015, 03:17:23 PM
Thats a good price but it'll need loads of mods so put aside at least another 80e. These types of smokers are really leaky, dont have any air intakes apart from a single hole in the bottom. You will need high temp gasket tape to seal every door, seam, lid, etc. Plus at least two, if not three air intakes for the bottom. A few more dial thermometers (one for each cooking layer) & you'll need to make a raised charcoal basket also (as fire burns out if ash cant drop below).

I modded the arse out of my brinkmann. Thats the best smoker mod thread to follow on the net as the smokers are pretty similar.

This one here is the best possible example:  http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

These guys sell seasoned oak  http://ecofuel.ie/   I stick one log on top of my lumpwood fire.

Hope this doesnt sound like im pissing on your chips. Just trying to help & have been through the same woes on similar smoker. Happy smoking!

No, well to be honest, @ €79 I'm not expecting the best smoker in the world, I expect a good entry level one, I think this will check those boxes. On first glance it also looks like the ones I see on the US barbecue shows.

Hop Bomb

I dont think it matters how much you spend on a smoker (unless you buy a commercial one). They all need some mods as they're just leaky boxes of metal. If you do the mods on this one you may never need another smoker (unless you need bigger to do more meat). Sealing it with high temp gasket will make it air tight, with the addition of extra air intakes at the bottom & you'll have full air intake control which is what regulates your fire & temp. The extra large raised fire basket means you'll be able to put on 6-8 KG of lump charcoal, this will be enough for a 12 hour cook without having to open the whole thing up, Lose temp, refuel, try hit temp again, etc.

Once you have it all dialled in its class. You can stick a cook on before going to bed on Fri night & not have to be up all night tending the fire, or lying in bed worrying if that 30 quid piece of meat will be tough as shit when you wake up :D

Same goes if you cook during the day. You can stick it on in the morning, feck off to town for a few hours & come back & take care of business.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Leann ull

Quote from: irish_goat on September 25, 2015, 09:46:05 AM
Quote from: CH on September 25, 2015, 09:30:30 AM
Hovering somebody give me a reason quick!

Go for it, you're bound to eventually find a hobby you're good at.  ;D

I found one, it's not brewing though :P

Eoin

I just had a look, that smoker isn't on offer anymore, it's back up to the normal price of €129, I still think it's an alright price, but not as good as it was obviously.

Eoin

Quote from: pob on September 30, 2015, 09:19:06 AM
Interesting other products they do,
wonder where all that missing ESB cables goes

Ha interesting, when I lived down near the Ringsend campsite they used just throw the cables on the fire and burn the plastic off, not sure it's quite the same crack, this is more for the recycling minded rather than the thief methinks :)