• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:18:37 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Great Smoker Deal, topic split from other thread and merged. New deal €89

Started by Eoin, September 25, 2015, 08:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Bomb

Quote from: Eoin on September 30, 2015, 09:13:09 AM
I just had a look, that smoker isn't on offer anymore, it's back up to the normal price of €129, I still think it's an alright price, but not as good as it was obviously.

Same one here for 29.99 GBP. Free p&p to Ireland.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Black-Steel-Charcoal-Grill-Barbecue-Smoker-BBQ-Garden-Outdoor-Cooking-/252100047321?hash=item3ab25571d9
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Eoin

I'm testing mine right now with peat briquettes, checking temps etc with no meat in.

Eoin

I already have an idea to modify it easily. Gonna make a jacket for it from aluminised glass fibre heat shield. That can slot over the whole thing and just leave a vent up top for the vent in the lid. Keep the heat in much more efficiently than now. It'll end up like a boiler lagging jacket. The wife is handy with the sewing machine.

johnrm

Eoin

I got up this morning, the temps were at 75C and there was still some peat burning and some good heat. It leaks like a sieve alright, I also broke one of the handles whilst building the damned thing, the bakelite cracked when I used the wrong screw in attaching the handle :( It's not so bad, I will talk to them about getting a replacement handle.
In any case, heat retention does seem to be an issue alright, I'll do some smoked chicken over the next few days, I made myself up a nice dry rub last night and am looking forward to having a go, at least the smoker is seasoned a little now and I have an idea of how well it works and retains heat.

Acott

This thread has awakened something in me!

I never knew you could easily replicate proper smoked / bbq meat at home...my juices are flowing!

Greg2013

Quote from: Hop Bomb on September 30, 2015, 03:03:53 PM
I just had a look, that smoker isn't on offer anymore, it's back up to the normal price of €129, I still think it's an alright price, but not as good as it was obviously.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Black-Steel-Charcoal-Grill-Barbecue-Smoker-BBQ-Garden-Outdoor-Cooking-/252100047321?hash=item3ab25571d9

Bloody hell that is some price difference for the same smoker ??? Seriously thinking about this for£30 be rude not to. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Hop Bomb

Heat retention isnt the issue though. Its your fire & air flow you need control of. With the correct air flow & enough charcoal you will be able to do a 12 hour cook & hold temp the whole time. Make it air tight, then add more vents at the bottom & a bigger fuel basket & it will work like a champ. (i know i sound like a broken record here but Ive been through all of this with my old brinkmann smoker - all of the above will make it a great bit of kit)  :)

molc

Got to ask, how much would it cost to find a smoker that already has all of the sealing done and is ready to use?
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Hop Bomb

The only smoker Ive seen ready to go out of the box is those komodo eggs. They cost a grand + I think. Good thing about cheapo ones is it takes very little money to put them right. All you need is high temp gasket for where each segment sits on top of the other, & some stove rope & high temp silicon to go around the lid where it sits on the body of the smoker. You can make your own bottom vents from those stainless candle trays from ikea or else rob em off an old weber style bbq. You can make an extra large charcoal basket from a shopping basket, or again one of those ikea candle trays & some expanded metal.

Loads of hacks & ideas on here https://www.facebook.com/Big-Ugly-Drum-Smokers-191617600925207/timeline/

UDS smokers are so efficient because they're one single sealed barrel. The only in & out is where you make the vents at the bottom & lid.

Eoin

Quote from: Hop Bomb on October 01, 2015, 01:26:07 PM
Heat retention isnt the issue though. Its your fire & air flow you need control of. With the correct air flow & enough charcoal you will be able to do a 12 hour cook & hold temp the whole time. Make it air tight, then add more vents at the bottom & a bigger fuel basket & it will work like a champ. (i know i sound like a broken record here but Ive been through all of this with my old brinkmann smoker - all of the above will make it a great bit of kit)  :)

Yeah, well I can do the airflow with the jacket too, don't worry, I have an idea already of what the issues are. I have a vent on top, I'd rather wrap the whole thing in a foil jacket, than seal the joints.
The bottom of this thing is open too, I also have an idea for controlling the airflow there, no worries, I think I have enough of an engineering brain to work it out, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

eanna

I have the same Ugly drum smoker as Hop Bomb. Ribs take up a lot of space for the amount of eating in them so the size of a UDS is great. Can't recommend the big poppa smokers kit enough

Leann ull

I can dream, a bit like the 50L BM  :)
https://aroomoutside.ie/large-big-green-egg-deal.html
Saw one in Deanes Belfast, lovely meat from it and very clever for a restaurant

Jonnycheech

Quote from: Hop Bomb on September 30, 2015, 03:03:53 PM

Shite, I knew I should have bought the smoker this morning when I saw this post. Decided to leave it until after work, big mistake, all gone now!
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Eoin

I did some chicken legs in it this evening. Very tasty, still not suitable for a long slow and low... But not bad at all.