• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 05:17:12 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Got the sous vide cooker in Lidl

Started by Eoin, December 05, 2015, 02:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

Anyone else bought this piece of kit?

I'd be well into your favourite recipes etc, I've a feeling there was a thread on this before...

hopapotamus

i was looking at these , have you used it yet ? is it good or the usual lidl quality?

Eoin

Not tried it yet. Gonna get some filet and try it out.

hopapotamus

Eoin

OK, I grabbed a filet steak the other day and did it in the sous vide.

All I can say....wow, amazing steak, best steak ever, it was like butter.

DEMPSEY

Is this just a fancy cook in a bag method or what. :-\ like the sound of that butter steak :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

irish_goat

They seem to cook everything on Masterchef in those things so it must be good.

Pheeel

While I was still working in the states one time I went to one of the kitchens at work to get a cup of tea. There was a water bath (big bugger too) sat in the corner with a homemade Sous Vide made out of a heater element and an STC. It looked dangerous as anything!! Never found out who made it...
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Will_D

The Lidl Sous Vide cooker is just a temp controlled water bath!

There is some small print on the box to the effect that you need the vacuum baggy packer thingy (that didn't get rave reviews here!) that they sold some time ago!

The only reason to vacuum a steak or salmon or whatever is to remove the air. Why? Coz when you put a bag with some air left in it into hot water, the air expands like billie-ohh! result of too much expansion is a Sous Vide bomb!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

armedcor

No need to vacuum seal at all. You can seal using the water method. basically get a ziplock bag with the meat close it 80% of the way then start lowering the bag into the water, it pushes all the air out and just before you reach the top of the bag seal completely.

Its how most of the new portable sous vide cooker companies advertise how to do it, plenty of youtube videos etc. I'm going to try have a go using my peco boiler and pid this weekend.

Leann ull

I have a vac sealer and have cooked a few sirloins in the HLT using the attached and flash fried rather than blowtorched, amazing flavour comes through as its cooking in own juices and seasoning was amazing too.

armedcor

Eoin

The steak comes out of the sous vide cooker looking grey and anaemic, so you need to flash it on a very hot pan to put some colour on it.
I cooked the steak at 53c.

I got one of the Alexander James vacuum packers too, and that is the mutts nuts.

That said I just used the water seal method with ziplocs for the steak as the vacuum packer hadn't arrived yet.

lordstilton

I've been using sous vide method a while now...by far my favorite thing to cook is a thick pork chop...Its unreal the difference it makes.

LordEoin

for a good slum vacuum sealer use a ziplock bag and a straw.
put the straw in, seal to the straw, suck all the air out, zip it up. simples and effective.

for a slum sous vide use a slow cooker and an STC.