• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:19:40 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Ergot

Started by Sorcerers Apprentice, December 06, 2015, 09:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorcerers Apprentice

During a conversation lately at a Capital Brewers meeting the subject of Ergot came up and I thought it might be worthwhile posting something here.
Ergot is caused by a fungal infection of cereal grains. The cereal is infected by a fungus called Claviceps Purpurea. Rye is particularly susceptible to it, however barley and wheat can also be affected.
What does it do? It can cause Ergotism which can lead to deformation of limbs, gangrene, hallucinations, it was once known as St Anthony's fire, due to the burning sensation in the affected limbs. It is now suspected as having been responsible for The Salem Witch Hunt. The weather around the time of witch burning would have suited Claviceps Purpurea (a cold snap in winter followed by wet spring and summer) whole villages succumbed to Ergotism due to eating bread contaminated by infected cereals. People didn't understand and blamed the outbreak on witchcraft.
Malting production plants would be well aware of Ergot and must take precautions to eliminate it ( Ergot floats in brine while heavier malt grains sink). However it's no harm to check your grains for it before brewing with them. This is particularly important if you are growing your own grains or purchasing grains sourced from abroad.
What does it look like? I would describe it as looking like rat droppings in the malt. They have a purple to black colour and are larger that malt grains
Here's a link to a Wiki page on Ergotism which contains a good photo of Ergot in a bowl of barley. It has mostly been eliminated, but no harm to throw a cursery eye over yor grain now and again
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergotism
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Will_D

I first heard of this donkeys back when an episode of Dr Finnlays Casebook highligted the problem.

The local miller milled infected wheat and then every one baked the bread and half a village tripped out!

The halucinogens and the effects are vey similar to LSD
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Shanna

Is this purely something that infects live grain plants or is there a chance of this fungus infecting malted barley? Getting a tad paranoid about storing my grain in my damp shed!!! Never had any inkling of this as my storage drums are fairly good at maintaining the quality of the grain but no harm in checking.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Pepin The Short

December 06, 2015, 10:52:46 AM #3 Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 11:03:53 AM by Pepin The Short
Many saints/hermits, are said to have had a lot of their visions because of ergot . 
Public information film from 1941 .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUpK9wDfqCY
Otium cum dignitate

Sorcerers Apprentice

Quote from: Shanna on December 06, 2015, 10:41:53 AM
Is this purely something that infects live grain plants or is there a chance of this fungus infecting malted barley? Getting a tad paranoid about storing my grain in my damp shed!!! Never had any inkling of this as my storage drums are fairly good at maintaining the quality of the grain but no harm in checking.

Shanna
It infects grass and cereals in the wild, it is a parasite and grows on the plant. It can be a concern here in Ireland for livestock as they can eat the infected grasses etc, it is supposed to be removed as part of the preparation of barley for malting and afterwards also in the dressing of the finished malt. It's no harm to know about it and can be interesting to read about. I've only heard of one instance in Irish brewing and it was in some speciality malt imported from Spain.

DEMPSEY

Thank's for the heads up,never heard of this before  :o.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Greg2013

Quote from: Will_D on December 06, 2015, 10:19:24 AM
I first heard of this donkeys back when an episode of Dr Finnlays Casebook highligted the problem.

The local miller milled infected wheat and then every one baked the bread and half a village tripped out!

Not necessarily a bad thing  ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Sorcerers Apprentice

Quote from: Greg2013 on December 06, 2015, 05:55:38 PM

Until your arms fall off

Greg2013

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on December 06, 2015, 07:47:37 PM
Quote from: Greg2013 on December 06, 2015, 05:55:38 PM

Until your arms fall off

Ya but you get to hear colours  ???
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

hopapotamus

i can touch the music ........can you feel it ?..... O0

HomeBrewWest

Is this the one that forms during malting if you don't have enough oxygen in the water used to wet the grains?
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Greg2013

Quote from: hopapotamus on December 06, 2015, 09:02:01 PM
i can touch the music ........can you feel it ?..... O0

Swing your pants  O0

Sorcerers Apprentice

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on December 06, 2015, 09:07:52 PM
Is this the one that forms during malting if you don't have enough oxygen in the water used to wet the grains?
No it grows on the plants during their cultivation on the farm

Bazza

I took drugs for years but thankfully they never lobsters lobsters everywhere, Prince hopeful sausage.

- Jim spillage
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx