• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:40 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

charcoal in Dublin in winter?

Started by baphomite51, January 07, 2016, 12:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baphomite51

Anyone know where I could pick some up.  would places like woodies sell it or is it off the shelf this time of year completely? Got a smokey mountain over Christmas and I'm dying to break it in.

Bubbles

Yes, Woodies stock charcoal, both the lumpwood and the compressed briquette type. Homebase stock it too, I think.

Though I'm not sure if the briquette would be suitable for smoking..

dcalnan

I'm in the same position in Cork, ive tried woodies down here and none of them have it or B&q, I have to try the Polish shops or the coop next, ive a smoker that I've been dying to try out since October.

eanna

B&Q do a firesale of charcoal at the end of Summer every year so they won't have any. Keep an eye out when the rain hits next September, that's when you buy a years supply.

Pheeel

Issues with your membership? PM me!

Eoin

If you have a Netpol (Polish shop) locally, they might stock it, that's where I get mine in Netpol Tyrrelstown, I asked recently and they stock it year around.

I found that the hardware places are not stocking it out of season.

Jacob

Or try any other Polish shop in your neighbourhood.

baphomite51

Quote from: Pheeel on January 07, 2016, 07:06:43 PM
These lads seem to have some http://www.outdoor.ie/30-bbq-accessories

was on to them yesterday and they have non in stock till feb, thanks tho.

Quote from: Eoin on January 08, 2016, 08:27:52 AM
If you have a Netpol (Polish shop) locally, they might stock it, that's where I get mine in Netpol Tyrrelstown, I asked recently and they stock it year around.

I found that the hardware places are not stocking it out of season.

gonna give one of them a go fingers crossed thanks

Bubbles

Quote from: baphomite51 on January 07, 2016, 12:15:36 PM
Anyone know where I could pick some up.  would places like woodies sell it or is it off the shelf this time of year completely? Got a smokey mountain over Christmas and I'm dying to break it in.

I'm very interested to hear how you get on with this, as I've had my eye on the Smokey Mountain for a long time.

What wood are you going to use for smoking? I've noticed that it's really only wood "chips" that are available in Ireland, whereas in the States, I've noticed on YouTube that they use massive chunks. Surely the chunks would burn slower, and release the smoke over a much longer period?

What are you planning on smoking? Ribs? Pork shoulder?

baphomite51

Quote from: Bubbles on January 08, 2016, 10:59:24 AM
Quote from: baphomite51 on January 07, 2016, 12:15:36 PM

I'm very interested to hear how you get on with this, as I've had my eye on the Smokey Mountain for a long time.

What wood are you going to use for smoking? I've noticed that it's really only wood "chips" that are available in Ireland, whereas in the States, I've noticed on YouTube that they use massive chunks. Surely the chunks would burn slower, and release the smoke over a much longer period?

What are you planning on smoking? Ribs? Pork shoulder?

ill be sure to let you know.

i found the wood chunks at outdoor scene but to be honest i'm not sure how big of a difference you'd get between the chunks and chips in the grand scheme of things.

ye basically maybe try some chicken too and brisket and maybe some different cuts like beef cheek and shank

Eoin

In season, I was able to get Weber chips in Woodies, but not at the moment.

I'd like to get the larger chunks myself...but the chips seem to do the job too.

Bubbles

Quote from: baphomite51 on January 08, 2016, 11:33:03 AMbut to be honest i'm not sure how big of a difference you'd get between the chunks and chips in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not so sure, but maybe an experienced smoked would chime in. I'd imagine the chips will combust a lot quicker, release a lot of smoke early in the process, and then fizzle out hours before the cooking is finished. But I'm just guessing..  :-\

Quote from: baphomite51 on January 08, 2016, 11:33:03 AM
ye basically maybe try some chicken too and brisket

I've smoked chicken wings on the Smokey Joe (just using a combination of direct and indirect heat) and I found that the skin can go very rubbery. The bit of research I've done has shown that this is a common problem with chicken. I remedied it by doing some intense direct heat to crisp the skin and render a lot of the fat out, then add the hickory chips and leave to smoke for 20 mins or so. I'm not sure how people work around this when smoking whole chickens, though I'm sure there's a way.

I remember Hop Bomb saying on this forum that brisket can be a tough joint to smoke well.

I hope you've a smoked porter on the go, to accompany all this BBQ?! :)

Bubbles

Pheeel

In my experience Chunks are better. With chips you have to keep checking them and adding more on
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Hop Bomb

Wasnt me talking about brisket. Lord Eoin I think.

I bought a loada bags of lumpwood charcoal in B&Q at the end of the summer. Was using it for a few months before that & said Id stock up for winter. Easily the best stuff around & well priced per kg. Was using the small bags from polonez before that. That stuff was pretty good too but the b&q lumpwood is larger & easier to work with as it doesnt fall through the gaps in the fire basket.

Smoked whole chicken I find is too tender & skin is fatty & rubbery as you said. I smoke to recommended internal temp so its cooked through perfectly, Im just not a fan of it like that (prefer a roast chicken). Its too mild a meat I think to take oak smoke well. For me I it tastes best when the meat is pulled off the carcass after smoking, chopped & sauced then fried on a skillet til its crispy.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.