• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:47:43 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Oysters

Started by Eoin, February 05, 2016, 01:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

I got a bit of a taste for these recently and pick up a few about once a month in Howth.
The native ones are amazing, rock oysters not as good, but still tasty.

In any case, does anyone have any good recipes for cooked oysters?

I tend to like them shucked and down the neck with redwine vinegar and shallot, hard to beat, but am just curious about cooked oysters.

Leann ull

There are lots of things I'll put in my mouth they don't feature
What's the attraction?

Eoin

Quote from: CH on February 05, 2016, 01:38:13 PM
There are lots of things I'll put in my mouth they don't feature
What's the attraction?

The taste is amazing.
It's the essence of the sea effectively.
I find that a good native oyster will fill you with a taste of the sea that pervades the senses.
I sold it to the wife on the basis that she loves Japanese Sashimi, and it worked, we both love them now.

Some people have a bit of an ick factor with them as they aren't the most pleasant things to look at, but the taste...mmmm mmmm mmmm

If you've never tried them then it could be a big step into the unknown, but it's so worth it.

I would happily eat them daily....

irish_goat

Had them a few years ago and thought it was like a eating a blob of salt water. Had them again in Asia with a bit of chilli sauce and it was only slightly better. One of the few things I don't seem to enjoy though so I'll be sure to try them again sometime.

Taf

For raw oysters, what they have in Boston is cocktail sauce which I think is a mix of good tomatoe sauce, small amount of ancho chilis, and some worcester sauce. You then typically mix with horseradish and lemon juice when putting on the oyster. A bit much for purists maybe, but lovely. The oysters are great in Boston, but actually prefer the massive clams they do, raw again obvs!

DEMPSEY

Had them in Belfast a few years ago served with Tabasco sauce :) Lovely
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Eoin

Quote from: DEMPSEY on February 05, 2016, 02:50:39 PM
Had them in Belfast a few years ago served with Tabasco sauce :) Lovely

I find that Tabasco is a bit much for them personally. Just red wine vinegar and shallot is right for me. It adds enough seasoning but doesn't take too much from the oyster or mask it.

LordEoin

The taste reminds me of the smell of fish scales. I don't see the attraction

googoomuck

Glazed in their shell under a grill with hollandaise sauce is my favourite.  Also make a batch of granita with your shallots and red wine vinegar for something different.

googoomuck

Lightly fried in panko crumb is nice.

Eoin

Quote from: googoomuck on February 05, 2016, 04:14:23 PM
Glazed in their shell under a grill with hollandaise sauce is my favourite.  Also make a batch of granita with your shallots and red wine vinegar for something different.

Interesting, thanks.

I'd forgotten the Rockefeller option too, which is grilled also with some sort of breadcrumb herb mix from what I remember.

Eoin

Quote from: googoomuck on February 05, 2016, 04:15:44 PM
Lightly fried in panko crumb is nice.

Nice, I have two bags of that i got recently, we use quite a bit of panko, standard egg wash and flour to stick the panko yeah?

googoomuck

Rockefeller is with spinach, herbs, garlic butter, pernod/anise and bread crumbs. Really tasty!!
Put a pinch of garlic powder, cayenne or smoked chipotle powder into your flour mix as well. Nice deviled mayo to dip them in. 😋😋
Panko are awesome!

Leann ull

It's still filter feeder sea snot

molc

Tried the whole Guinness and raw oyster thing, but turned mostly into drinking the Guinness to wash down the oyster. The mouthfeel and brinyiness just don't do it for me.
Lovely grilled though.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter