• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 02:19:37 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Molcs Bread Recipes

Started by Leann ull, February 08, 2016, 11:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

February 08, 2016, 11:45:09 PM Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:58:52 PM by CH
Be rude not to name after the inventor.

I've been on loads of bread courses and had a bread maker for years but never bothered really with it until I started seeing all these bloody group buys for flour!

Anyways here's my impossible to fail bread machine recipe

Take 300ml warm water, 200 tap 100 kettle.
Add 7g salt 5 will do if watching salt intake.
Add 15g butter and 15g sunflower or olive oil. can be 30g of one if you are missing either.
2 teaspoons of sugar, I use brown.
500g of quality so Allinsons or Dove, not odlums, strong bread flour, and this is the bit I like to mess with as long as it all adds up to 500g each time.
Eg
200 strong 100 Rye 200 stoneground
Rye will increase density so I tend not to go North of 200g

I have 3 other funky flours for bread that I just mix and match normally using the strong as the base on a 50:25:25 basis

Finally in a little well in the dry flour 7g of quality yeast, again Doves or Allinsons, I used the cheap stuff not great.

I chuck in walnuts if it's for myself or herself on weekend or sunflower and sesame if it's for kids
Every batch has a post mortem from the critics and adjusted for next time

I was messing around with 250 rye on this one it was a bit much.

That's it every night I set a delay of 7 hours on the machine, the cheat is to use boiling water in bottom and by the time timer has finished its still warm for the yeast,, just make sure yeast is nowhere near it.
Kids go to school every day with fresh bread, smell of it is moorish and I know exactly what's in it, Kids won't eat white bread now
Ill post pics and recipe for a few more.

I saw machines in Lidl over weekend for 50 bucks

Leann ull

johnrm

molc

Haha, nice John :) I'll post up my soft fluffy bread one later. It's a white French bread and just has a lovely crisp crust. Perfect for jam.

Have to start making bread again. Out of the maker it's just so good.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Eoin

My simple recipe is as follows.

600g Flour...decide on your type, I use the strong I recently bought.
200 ml tap water + 100ml from kettle= 300ml tepid water.
a knob of fresh yeast....about 7-8g is good. I get fresh yeast in the Netpol 50c a pack.
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp sugar.
1 tsp salt.

I mix and knead it with the dough hook using my kitchenaid, then turn it out into a banneton to prove.

You can vary it by substituting parts of the flour with other ingredients, seeds and the like.

I gave my breadmaker away...I hate the indent that is made in the bottom by the hook.....

Bazza

You lads with yer fancy bread makers and dough hooks. I prefer the old misery of kneading by hand and walking about with white goo stick to me fingernails and the sleeves of me jumper for the rest of the day.

Quote from: CH on February 08, 2016, 11:45:09 PM
every night I set a delay of 7 hours on the machine,

Interesting. Like the idea of the delay thing, but would 7 hours not cause the dough to over prove and deflate onto itself?

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Eoin

Quote from: Bazza on February 09, 2016, 09:19:05 AM

Interesting. Like the idea of the delay thing, but would 7 hours not cause the dough to over prove and deflate onto itself?

-Barry

If you don't mix the water and the dried yeast then it only activates when it starts to mix seven hours later, so the proving should only happen then.

molc

Yeah I tend to put the yeast in first, then the salt, sugar, then the flour and finally the liquids. This keeps the yeast dry until the program starts, so your bread starts doing it's thing around 4am in the morning, while you snooze away.
When I lived in an apartment, I used to leave the door the the kitchen and bedroom open and let it do it's thing overnight. Without an alarm, the aroma of freshly baking bread would wake me up without fail, just as the bread came ready and needed to be removed from the machine.

Heaven.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

I don't get to make bread much, and when I do it tends to be a baking session with the kids - homemade pizza and breadsticks. Lovely stuff, you know exactly what's in it, and it keeps the maggots entertained for an hour or so.

On the rare occasion I bake for myself and the missus, it tends to be a couple of loaves of tomato and fennel bread, or some focaccia (with lots of garlic and herbs).

Same as Eoin, I use a dough hook on the Kenwood mixer. Dough recipe is always from the River Cottage Bread book.

I love the idea of a bread machine, but it seems like cheating. A bit like people who use the Braumeister/Grainfather.. that's not brewing......... <ducks> (just kidding, folks!  8) )

Leann ull

I do make French sticks using the breadmakers dough setting and have a lame and a water bath in the oven but it's a bit of a faff tbh

cruiscinlan

Ale bread [from Paul Hollywoods book]

500g strong flour
10g salt
7g dried yeast/21g fresh yeast
30g butter
300ml ale

Mix dry ingredients and rub in butter.  Add ale and leave to rise.  Depending on the dryness of your flour you may want to add less or more.

If you've fermenting ale handy you should be able to add the barm to your recipe instead of the yeast or ale to recreate how bread was made in the pre-modern era.

nigel_c

I have a recipe at home somewhere for a focaccia bread that has dill in it. Don't think I'll post cause I don' know if I could face all the smart arse home made dill dough comments.
;)

johnrm

I'm still looking for the perfect recipe for pizza dough for the bread maker.
I have a recipe that suggests butter, but think olive oil would be better.
I have tried Odlums and Allinson's, I'm not convinced that the issue is the ingredients, but maybe the temp when rolling/stretching the base.

rje66

Quote from: Eoin on February 09, 2016, 08:56:08 AM
My simple recipe is as follows.

600g Flour...decide on your type, I use the strong I recently bought.
200 ml tap water + 100ml from kettle= 300ml tepid water.
a knob of fresh yeast....about 7-8g is good. I get fresh yeast in the Netpol 50c a pack.
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp sugar.
1 tsp salt.
I do this one but add in a bit of crushed fennel seeds or a tea spoon of turmeric powder
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie

Leann ull

I tried Eoins tonight, used the breadmaker to knead and knockback and Pyrex bowl to cook
I thought it was going to be too dry but it turned out well and with a big lash of homemade raspberry jam just have to learn how to churn butter now