• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:07:43 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Nduja

Started by Eoin, February 17, 2016, 02:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

I got this **hot** tip from an Italian colleague here at work.

Basically it's a hot hot hot Italian style sausage type thing based originally on French Andouille sausage.

It's very spicey and goes really nice in a marinara style sauce, where the sausage melts and disappears, and then goes really well with some seafood thrown in a the end, served with pasta.

If you've not tried it then I'd heartily recommend it.

irish_goat

Sounds lovely. Where do you buy it?

lordstilton

Andouille sausage was the most vile thing I ever tasted and I'm an adventurous eater.. Hands smelt of pig shit for hours.. I off loaded it on DEMPSEY.

irish_goat

Quote from: lordstilton on February 17, 2016, 03:23:10 PM
Andouille sausage was the most vile thing I ever tasted and I'm an adventurous eater.. Hands smelt of pig shit for hours.. I off loaded it on DEMPSEY.

You should try Durian fruit.   ???

lordstilton

I'll try anything but andouille was horrific... I got brought back top of the range stuff from brittany..i believe the shit smell is even stronger if you fry it.. Could think how worse that could be

Leann ull

Quote from: lordstilton on February 17, 2016, 03:23:10 PM
Hands smelt of pig shit for hours.. I off loaded it on DEMPSEY.

Keg

Nduja is very nice spread on some good bread and put under the grill as part of a bruschetta. You can get it at farmers markets it.

lordstilton

Is it made from chitlets?

lordstilton

Perfect description..French andouillette, on the other hand, is an acquired taste and can be an interesting challenge even for adventurous eaters who don't object to the taste or aroma of feces. It is sometimes eaten cold, as in picnic baskets. Served cold and sliced thinly, the smell, taste, and texture may be mistaken for an andouille [a milder, less stinky sausage], but on closer inspection the texture is considerably more rubbery and the meat has a more feces-like flavor. By contrast, many French eateries serve andouillette as a hot dish, and foreigners have been repulsed by the aroma, to the point where they find it inedible (see external links). While hot andouillette smells of feces, food safety requires that all such matter is removed from the meat before cooking. Feces-like aroma can be attributed to the common use of the pig's colon (chitterlings) in this sausage, and stems from the same compounds that give feces some of its odors. (source)

lordstilton

So there is a difference between andouille and andouillette

Keg

Nduja is like a spreadable chorizo

Eoin

Nduja doesn't smell of shite at all.

Eoin

I get it in Magills or little Italy

Eoin

I feel this thread got a "bum" deal cos it was immediately associated with Andouille and that is not a good association.

On that basis I am putting in the wiki description.

'Nduja (pronounced [ˈnduːja]) is a particularly spicy, spreadable pork salume from Italy. It is typically made with parts of the pig such as the shoulder and belly, as well as tripe, roasted peppers and a mixture of spices. It is a Calabrian variation of salume,[1] loosely based on the French andouille introduced in the 13th century by the Angevins.

The name derives from the Latin "inducere" (to lead in, bring in, introduce, conduct, lead up, bring forward). 'Nduja is made using meat from the head (minus the jowls, which are used for guanciale), trimmings from various meat cuts, some clean skin, fatback, and roasted hot red peppers which give 'nduja its characteristic fiery taste.[2] 'Nduja originates from the southern part of Calabria, namely from the small town of Spilinga[3] and its neighborhood. It is mainly served with slices of bread or with ripe cheese. Its unique taste makes it suitable for a variety of dishes. For example, it can be added to pasta sauces.

irish_goat

I tried andouillette in Royan in France this summer. It was hoaching, managed to eat about half of it by smothering it in mustard but christ the smell was awful and the texture was grim too. To be fair to the waitress, she tried to warn me that it wasn't a great option if I'd never had it before.