• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:13:43 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Sourdough Starter

Started by phynes1, July 19, 2016, 07:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phynes1

My first attempt at a sourdough starter began yesterday.

Added a small amount of beer from a sour beer (Belgian Sour Mix and Dregs from 3 Fontein) I have fermenting.

Anyone ever tried this before?

PH

Frequent Sequence

I have made very good starters with sour beer dregs and crushed malt. I also added acidulated malt which worked well and gave a lovely tangy flavor.

Hop Bomb

Ive made completely brand new starters from the lacto culture here at the brewery & been baking bread the next day, but the starter still performs much better a few weeks in once its been fed regularly & trained in well. (High krausen at 12 hours etc after feeding). I also skip the levain part on baking day & just pitch most of my starter to the bread mix when the starter is at high krausen (this requires you to feed it 12 hours prior to when you want to start your process). Ive also revived dead starters with lacto probiotic pills. They're great!
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Leann ull

Artisan bakers are giving away free starters for the month of sept
https://realbreadireland.org/sourdoughseptember

molc

Woohoo my epic local Baker is in the list as well!
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Leann ull

Had a go this morning and happy enough, very simple using the Pyrex as a Dutch oven and it really rose well, forgot my "bakers signature" with a knife though!

rje66

Quote from: CH on September 06, 2016, 09:04:16 AM
Had a go this morning and happy enough, very simple using the Pyrex as a Dutch oven and it really rose well, forgot my "bakers signature" with a knife though!
What type of blade do you use???  Just curious as sometimes i end up "deflating" the dough. Have tried razor/scalpel/seratted knife . Tips ???
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie

Leann ull

You should only cut 1/4 inch in, I use a lame or safety blade but have done it with sharp paring knife
You shouldn't deflate the dough though unless you went very deep.
I'm pissing myself as I have one in the oven at the moment and I forgot again to cut it