• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 04:49:24 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Jams, Jelly and Chutneys

Started by guest1906, September 29, 2016, 12:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest1906

Hi Guys

Any one here interested in sharing recipes in Jams, Jelly and Chutneys. I like making unusual combinations that you would never think would be possible such as Pear and Chocolate Jam. I have made Rhubarb Chutney using my own Rhubarb and cider vinegar. I'll share some recipes if any one is interested.

rje66

Cool. Have some rhubarb in freezer,so I'll give that one a go.
Ta
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie

johnrm

SWMBO was given a few bags of apples. I'm sick of tart now, but someone mentioned chutney so I'm interested in a recipe.

irish_goat

Could see pear and chocolate jam being lovely in a crepe.

guest1906

Quote from: irish_goat on September 29, 2016, 08:15:45 AM
Could see pear and chocolate jam being lovely in a crepe.

I have a jar here if you like to try.

guest1906

Apple Chutney

Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
1lb onions (grated or finely chopped)
½ pint cider vinegar
2lbs Apples (after peeling & coring), chopped
2-4 oz. dried fruit
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
12 oz. sugar

1    Put the onion into a saucepan with 1/8 pint vinegar and simmer until nearly soft.
2   Add the chopped rhubarb, dried fruit, mixed spice, salt, ground ginger and just enough vinegar to stop mixture from burning.
3   Cook gently until the fruit is soft, stirring from time to time.
4   Add remainder of the vinegar and thoroughly stir in the sugar.
5   Boil steadily until the chutney is thick.
6   Pour into hot jars.

Additional recipe Apple and Mint Chutney

Use same method for apple chutney, but allow 1 dessertspoon of chopped mint to each lb chutney. stir this in just before putting into jars.

irish_goat

Cheers Jam Man, dunno when I'll be down in Dublin next though.

How many jars does that recipe do? And do you need cooking apples or will any kind do? Myself and the missus are quite a fan of mango chutney so I might give that a go. They tend to be in the reduced section of my local Tesco every few weeks.

guest1906

Quote from: irish_goat on September 29, 2016, 10:11:06 AM
Cheers Jam Man, dunno when I'll be down in Dublin next though.

How many jars does that recipe do? And do you need cooking apples or will any kind do? Myself and the missus are quite a fan of mango chutney so I might give that a go. They tend to be in the reduced section of my local Tesco every few weeks.

it just so happens I have a recipe for Mango Chutney

googoomuck

Found the mother load of crab apples so planning a crab apple jam for next week. In work we make a mean apple and pear chutney. Very similar to your recipe JamMan, but we use 50:50 cider and balsamic vinegar, tomatoes, fresh ginger and chilli. 

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

guest1906

Quote from: googoomuck on September 29, 2016, 10:38:02 AM
Found the mother load of crab apples so planning a crab apple jam for next week. In work we make a mean apple and pear chutney. Very similar to your recipe JamMan, but we use 50:50 cider and balsamic vinegar, tomatoes, fresh ginger and chilli. 

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I have made many chutneys using different kinds of vinegar's, but I have settled on cider vinegar and still working off the cider vinegar batch that I accidentally made last year. You'd be better off making Apple Jelly with those crab apples and I have recipes for apple Jelly, apple & geranium jelly and apple and lemon jelly or apple & orange Jelly

molc

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

nigel_c

helmet

Quote from: johnrm on September 29, 2016, 07:50:24 AM
SWMBO was given a few bags of apples. I'm sick of tart now, but someone mentioned chutney so I'm interested in a recipe.
I've been flat out with apples the last while. Juiced a load of them, used some for cider, made this http://www.skinnytaste.com/slow-cooked-apple-butter/
and this http://www.foodireland.com/recipes/lakeshore-pork/
and this http://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/swedish-apple-cake/
......all pretty damned tasty!