• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 11:42:12 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

flaked barley

Started by marceldesailly, March 30, 2013, 04:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marceldesailly

for anyone looking for flaked barley, Holland and barret have it on buy one get one half price at the minute. a kg worked out at 2.50.

DEMPSEY

Have you ever used this in a paler beer recipe. I know it can cause haze problems hence it is usually used in stouts and other dark beers. I wonder if the grainy taste it imparts be an interesting addition to an IPA. :-/
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

mabrungard

Quote from: DEMPSEY on March 30, 2013, 05:03:13 PM
Have you ever used this in a paler beer recipe. I know it can cause haze problems hence it is usually used in stouts and other dark beers. I wonder if the grainy taste it imparts be an interesting addition to an IPA. :-/

I have used it in a number of pale and brown ales.  I found that it takes a very light hand when dealing with this ingredient in 'non-roasty' beers.  The graininess melds well with roasty, but quickly becomes overpowering in a beer without roast.  In addition, flaked barley is a huge body builder, which you wouldn't think was a problem.  But it makes pouring a beer very difficult since the foam stand is large and VERY lasting...like mousse. 

Do experiment with an addition to your favorite beers, but be very sparing in the amount.  Even at 0.5 percent of the grist, its effects and flavor are notable. 

Enjoy!
Martin Brungard
Indianapolis, Indiana

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

mattco

I've used it in pale (& red) ales before experimenting with wheat malt and didn't have too many issues with 5-10% of grain bill.  I had brewed almost all stouts since starting and I guess I had difficulty giving it up when it came to other recipies!