• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:53:11 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Minch Lager Malt

Started by Qs, April 20, 2015, 12:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qs

Has anyone tried this yet? Have a few recipes coming up I was going to use pilsner malt in but the price for this is good I'm thinking of trying it instead.

Any reviews?

Bart

Is it not the same thing coming from different distributors?
http://www.brew.is/files/malt.html

Qs

Well more or less yeah but I was just wondering seeing as its Irish how people found the colour, efficiency, taste, etc from this stuff vs say German pilsner.

Simon_

Bump. Would be nice to get a review of this grain or of the Minch grains in general. It seems like good value.

bier

I have been using both the lager malt and the ale malt. I find it good and am getting great efficiency from it. I haven't noticed any great change in flavour.
The only complaint was on my first bag of ale malt - there were some small stones in the grain which was not healthy for my mill. However I haven't had this in my second bag.
So overall I'm happy with it and it's nice to use Irish malt.

Qs

Did you do 90 or 60 minute boils bier? I've been using both too and I find them really good but I'm still doing 90 minute boils on both just in case. I think I'm going to try a 60 minute boil on the pale malt next time I use it.

bier

Generally 90 mins boil and 70 min mash. Mostly habit rather than any other reason

Qs

I like a 90 minute boil but in the hot weather the amount of boil off can be problematic. Really I just need a bigger pot.

bier

HBC now have Minch speciality malts in stock. These are malted in UK and France. Have ordered some of the roast barley to try it out in a stout I'm brewing on Saturday. Great price on them too.