• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:50:13 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Loughran family malt efficiency

Started by Drum, May 01, 2015, 12:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drum

Has anyone done a few brews with Loughran pale ale malt yet?  Just wondering if anyone else is getting lower than usual mash efficiency from it?
It might just be that im getting a lot of grain husks at the top of the bag and a lot of the flour has dropped to the bottom as i bought the bag crushed. My last brew was a single malt ipa with 6 KG of Loughran malt and I ended up with 22 L at 1.052. I've done the same with 6 kg of marris otter and simpsons extra pale spring barley, using the same mash volume and temps (basically the max my mash tun can hold and aiming for a mash temp of 64 C) and ended up with the same volume at 1.060 both times.

Parky

That's a good question. My last eight brews have been with Loughran pale malt. I'd been using Weyermann's previously and actually found the Loughran malt gave me a few extra gravity points, even though the colour was slightly darker.

You could be right in what you say about an uneven crush. A lot of flour will give you a greater efficiency, but can cause a slow (or stuck) sparge, so the increased efficiency may not be translated into higher gravity wort.

I would certainly give the Loughran malt another go, as I've been fairly happy with it, and this may have been just a one off.

itsclinto

I got a bag of crushed aswell and started biab.  I can't compare it to anything else but i thought that i'd share my results.  My efficiencies have been 55% (first biab learning curve), 64%, 66% and 79% - from first brew to last brew.  The last one i changed my sparged technique from pouring water over the grains to actually dunking the bag into the sparge water and properly squeezing it.

winstonia

BIAB hit my numbers, mash tun went a bit over. Got 1060 and aiming for 1051