• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:24 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Sadlers Reserve Merlot Shiraz 12 btl with equipment, geterbrewed

Started by LordEoin, February 03, 2014, 08:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hefeman

@LordEoin,

I'm thinking about trying a wine kit. Would you recommend buying the kit 'with equipment' for someone who already has all the beer brewing gear (30L FVs, sanitiser, airlocks, tubing etc.)? It seems like I have most of the equipment already but not sure if it there is something else I would need that is specific to wine.

HM.

molc

I did one of the kits there recently with my own equipment with no issues. The red wine is a bit of a pain to clean out of the plastic fermenter as it seems to really get into the surface, but other than that everything was fine and I did my next beer in it with no issues.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Hefeman

molc

I actually got a 10 litre vino trainer and just siphoned into that, which saved all hassle. If the wine turns out well, I'll probably bottle with screw caps next time.

LordEoin

screwcaps are a godsend, but if you're getting a cheap corker i'd go with the twin handle like this one http://geterbrewed.ie/twin-lever-metal-wine-corker.html
and synthetic corks

@geterbrewed

Thanks LordEoin for recommending a great corker, better value at Get 'er Brewed; http://geterbrewed.ie/twin-lever-metal-wine-corker.html
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

LordEoin

A bit cheaper alright. Link updated.

I've never had any problem with this corker apart from the corks not going fully into the bottle.
I just cut off any overhang with a sharp knife.
That's one of the reasons I recommend the synthetic corks.
Synthetic corks also avoid any problems with wine seeping out and moldy corks.
And you can condition them upright because you don't need to keep the cork wet.
You can also sanitize them in your favorite chemical without them soaking it up.

I'm a fan of synthetic corks!  :-*

molc

From the Rebel county, thought you'd only be a fan of the Real Cork boys ;) *hides*

LordEoin

molc

Hefeman

Thanks all for the feedback, I ordered the 12 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon kit with synthetic corks & corker. If it goes well I'll go large on the next batch :)
For longer term storage (> 6 months) what are you guys doing for temperature control? Is a wine 'cellar' required/recommended? Without this temperatures in my home might be < 10C in the winter nights and > 20C in the summer/autumn. Just wondering if it matters much in reality or if I need to buy more equipment.
Assuming the quality of the finished bottle is good, spending on temperature control equipment should pay for itself before long but obviously only want to do this if it is really needed.

molc

I just throw it into the garage and let nature take its course. It's my first wine kit though, so no idea of the impact long term

MisterBurns

Tasted my first bottle of the 30 bottle kit this weekend and I was impressed. Bottled it in March and threw them out in the shed - almost forgot about them until we were moving house last weekend!

Hefeman

Quote from: molc on September 07, 2014, 12:47:12 AM
I did one of the kits there recently with my own equipment with no issues. The red wine is a bit of a pain to clean out of the plastic fermenter as it seems to really get into the surface, but other than that everything was fine and I did my next beer in it with no issues.

Just read the instructions which recommend using a 12L carboy and expressly recommends not using a large fermentation bucket due to extra O2 in the headspace. Any recommendations on whether this really matters or where to buy a small fermenter like this?

LordEoin

it wont matter while t's fermenting, but a smaller container would be good for stabilizing and fining because it won't be kicking off all that co2