• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:31:39 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

TOG Brewday - 11th August

Started by Padraic, July 15, 2013, 01:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Jacoby

Just a reminder that I'll have some water test kits with me if anyone wants their water tested. Just bring along a small bottle containing a fresh sample. I'm happy to let people do the tests themselves. It's the best way to learn how to do it  :)

Does anyone need hops? I have plenty for sale or for swaps (I'd like to get some Bramling X and some Styrian Goldings if possible). PM me for more info.
Every little helps

Hop Bomb

What time is this starting? Whats the address? Just trying to plan for tomorrow.

@drjacoby: il trade bramling cross for saaz and sorachi ace. 100g of each?
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Shane Phelan

This is the location. I'm aiming to be there for 10, brewing (or at least heating the water) usually takes place around 10.30.

Any talks,tasting are usually done during 'quiet' periods of brewing such as mashing, after 1st hop addtion, cooling etc... Usually everything is over by around 4.30.
Brew Log

Dunkel

Sounds like a good 'un, but I'm working.  :( Would love to see James's Braumeister in action. Ah well, another time ...

Enjoy the day lads.

Brew_Diva

OK I am coming.

Looking fwd to this one. am sorry now not to be brewing tomorrow but deffo next time I hope!!
Moving house next week so it just wouldn't be convenient to be transporting the buckets as well as everything else... would it also upset the fermentation process???

Peter, would be v interested to buy some Bramling X off you for my next brew. i've 5kg Marris Otter pale Malt and some dark crystal malt so all I'd need then I think is to get some yeast and that would hopefully be the next All Grain Ale to do in September...
Do the hops need to b kept refrigerated/ in the ice-box?

See ye in the am

Hop Bomb

Thanks Shiny. Brewdiva il bring some bramling cross for you.

What time approx is the water chemistry talk on? That's the main reason im coming up so i dont want to miss it.  Thanks

Padraic

I won't be making it in until late in the day if at all... Shane McD and shiny will be in around 10 with jules, I think kickoff should be at around 10:30 for the first of two brews!

Enjoy it!

brian_c

Sorry, wont make it. One of these days I will.

Dr Jacoby

Quote from: Hop Bomb on August 10, 2013, 07:08:35 PM
What time is this starting? Whats the address? Just trying to plan for tomorrow.

@drjacoby: il trade bramling cross for saaz and sorachi ace. 100g of each?

I think the idea was to chat about water chemistry at various points throughout the day. But I'll probably wait for the mash or the boil for the main part. If you miss anything we can have a chat ourselves about everything. I'll have my laptop with me so we can go through whatever you like.

100g of saaz and sorachi ace is no problem. I have them set aside for you. Cheers
Every little helps

Padraic

Can someone bring along some US05 please? Post here if you're going to so that everyone doesn't bring some!

I think the rest of the ingredients are covered for the 2 brews on the day!

Dr Jacoby

Every little helps

DEMPSEY

I am going to head in just now and bring Igor. I would like a Tog'er to meet Igor and suggest how to make him tick. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Dr Jacoby

For those who couldn't make it to TOG yesterday, here's a pic of the info we put up on the blackboard. The column on the right includes recommended ranges for mineral levels in beer. The middle column is a typical profile for the Ballymore Eustace water supply. The boxes on the left are the readings we took on the day for Oranmore in Galway, Rathfarnham (which looks like it is on the same Ballymore Eustace supply), Malahide and Bray (which has the softest water I've seen in Ireland so far). Hopefully it'll be of use to some of you.

Every little helps

Hop Bomb

Cheers for the seminar & testing of my water. Great day. Great space. Thanks for having me.

Hop Bomb

I believe someone said it was the same as the example on the black board.

Some water testing: