• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 06:30:21 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mold on outside of FV

Started by clanz, August 19, 2016, 02:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clanz

So since my first brew day just over 6 weeks ago I've left my beer alone in the FV in a cupboard in the shed.  Went to get it today for bottling a little later on and was dismayed to find mold on the outside of the FV!!!!!   :'(  I've cleaned it off and had a sneak peek at the inside and all appears ok to sight & smell.  Should I proceed to bottle or is it better safe than sorry & pour it down the sink??  Also the outside of the FV was cleaned before putting in the cupboard and there is no other mold in the cupboard how did this occur?

Bubbles

Probably wort splashed on the side of the FV. If the FV was well sealed you should be fine. Clean the outside with some StarSan too. Don't chuck it out!!

Motorbikeman

Happens to me as well.  Especially when a ramp up the temp and condensation starts to gather.

I just dry it off with kitchen roll and wipe the lot down with peracetic acid  or a blech/viniger  sanitizer.

You need to clean around the lid  really well as your fingers are most likely to spread it into your FV. 

Leann ull

Quote from: Motorbikeman on August 19, 2016, 03:20:42 PM

I just dry it off with kitchen roll and wipe the lot down with peracetic acid  or a blech/viniger  sanitizer.

Be careful with the use of Peracetic acid, extensively used by the pro's who have been trained to use it in dilution and application(lots of stories on US HB forums about it not working at all), its not really suited for the homebrew environment and without a commercial plug, there are more homebrew friendly sanitisers out there as well as your bleach and vinegar combo which also needs to be handled with care on the mixing of course.

Oh Crap

Quote from: CH on August 19, 2016, 04:42:42 PM
Quote from: Motorbikeman on August 19, 2016, 03:20:42 PM

Be careful with the use of Peracetic acid, extensively used by the pro's who have been trained to use it in dilution and application(lots of stories on US HB forums about it not working at all), its not really suited for the homebrew environment and without a commercial plug, there are more homebrew friendly sanitisers out there as well as your bleach and vinegar combo which also needs to be handled with care on the mixing of course.
As above  ^^^

We use peracetic acid after full cleaning cycle and ONLY for sanitising inside fermenters, tanks etc. For other sanitising we use either alcohol or stars an...peracetic acid is nasty s**t if not diluted correctly. It also will bleach your skin before you realise it splashed you (experience😬)
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

Motorbikeman

August 20, 2016, 02:19:03 AM #5 Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 02:32:15 AM by Motorbikeman
mixed 25ml to 1000 .      Guy in motley brew reckoned its was  the best when i went in looking for a new bottle  of star san.   After a bit of research  I seen i works great...  Tis nasty stuff alright.    Handy to have for a nuclear option..

Oh Crap

Quote from: Motorbikeman on August 20, 2016, 02:19:03 AM
mixed 25ml to 1000 .      Guy in motley brew reckoned its was  the best when i went in looking for a new bottle  of star san.   After a bit of research  I seen i works great...  Tis nasty stuff alright.    Handy to have for a nuclear option..

Each manufacturer has differing dilution rates, typically 1% (200 ml in 20L) leaves it as a no rinse solution, any more and it needs to be rinsed... Works great and is a nuclear option 😀😄 Obviously add peracetic TO water not the other way...also there is no point in mixing more then you need as it breaks down after 24 hrs rendering it useless
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

Leann ull

August 20, 2016, 11:10:25 AM #7 Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 12:00:32 PM by CH
Quote from: Motorbikeman on August 20, 2016, 02:19:03 AMAfter a bit of research  I seen i works great...  Tis nasty stuff alright.    Handy to have for a nuclear option..

we have had discussions on forum before on various sanitisers and if there is a cost effective option which is safe I think it's better homebrewers, especially newbies use that instead of nuclear options.

2nd last paragraph and this is from a commercial cleaning chemical vendor.
http://www.cleaning-matters.co.uk/page_591360.asp

Will_D

I would not like anyone to quote this articles too closely:

"She adds: "Unlike bleach, it does not linger in the environment, or on surfaces. PAA components are completely biodegradable as its base elements (hydrogen and water) are harmless.""

PAA: Is a molecule consisting of C, H, O. It really is just vinegar on Oxygen steroids!

Also Hydrogen, Nitrogen and Carbon are also harmless UNLESS they are combined into HCN (Hydrogen Cyanide)

Need I say more??
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Motorbikeman

I dont really let on to know the science,  but with caution and being careful  I really have no problem  with mixing it.  Outside with gloves nd a syringe . What I was surprised about,was the lack of safety advice and proper labelling the brew shop gave.  I bought 1 liter for 9 euro a long time ago.  I was a bit sceptical with it and endded up printing of the safety data about the stuff.   
  I do know one thing.  After I give my fermenter a dip in the stuff, im fairly sure there are no bugs in there.