• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 10, 2024, 12:43:44 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

March Meet in the Boro

Started by Will_D, March 04, 2013, 10:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigel_c

Just bumping this up as a reminder. Still loads of seats left in the pub so all welcome.

Will_D

Yep, The hops are ready to go

Brought a few spares!!

Its certainly a night for the fire in the snug!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Rats

QuoteYep, The hops are ready to go

Brought a few spares!!

Its certainly a night for the fire in the snug!
And a glass of "port" :P
I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

Rats

Thanks guys for another lovely night of tasting excellent beers.
I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

Jacob

richieh

That was great lads, some very nice beers. Lovely cider too! good to meet everyone

ColmR

March 13, 2013, 01:49:52 PM #22 Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:50:34 PM by Colm
Beginning to feel like myself again. Great meet again and was brill to meet new faces. Thanks again Will for the hopsĀ  :D

BrianC

Thanks for the great introduction into the brew world and the different ciders, beers and port it was a very good night. Thanks Will for the hop plant.

Will_D

March 17, 2013, 11:08:16 AM #24 Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:15:08 AM by Will_D
Have just done the writeup and saved as Draft. Can the front-page editor please check and publish and up-date this thread please?

Its a bit odd uploading photos You don't really get confirmation they are there till you X the window and look in the media library! Or is it just me?

Also How do I put the photo on the right and have a column of text to the left of it?

Will_D

Thanks Shane,

Am calling down to James later will get him to show me!

Will_D

March 17, 2013, 07:27:33 PM #26 Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:29:08 PM by Will_D
Malahide is a bit of a wilderness for craft beers!

Old Boro are hosting us and in particular they got a mention in the press so I would like to stay there a bit longer.

Last Tuesday I picked up RitchieH from the Dart station, via James' to pick up prizes, then 3 of us to Boro. Delivered him safely back to get his train about 10 or so.

Am happy to extend this to your good self and Mr D or whoever for next meet in April.

Our intention for when the weather improves (!!!) is to meet up in Skerries at the bar/resturant that hosted the pre paddy fest meeting ( Seamus and Bruce ) next to Blue and maybe even Blue itself.

When it gets really hot we will host meets in the summer in our back gardens on Sat/Sun/BH Mondays for a BBQ and some serious HB drinking errm tasting.

Like James's brew day but with sun and the brewing is optional. Reminder: Must get new 3 phase supply complete with a prepay 'Lecky meter fitted for garden circuits :D.

Eoin

It's interesting how skunking improves the taste profile of Heineken in the bottle.

richieh

Also, isomerised hop extract is commonly used by macros and is immune from skunking.

simple isomerised hop extract is not immune from skunking, since what ends up in normal beer is just isomerised hop extract, after the boil extracts. What is more immune to light strike is Rho, or Tetra, or Hexa extracts, which are more complicated than simple hop extract, something to do with monkeying with the chemical makeup of the acids so that whatever transformation that causes skunking does not occur. interestingly neither Rho nor Tetra work when there is no  normal alpha or iso-alpha acid present, so you can't really mix and match. It's fine for beers with little hop presence I guess.

Eoin

With Heino it is most certainly skunking that makes the difference tastewise, but I remember years ago as a barman, many customers would only drink a little green bottle and would never touch what they considered the more boring pint of Heineken.

Skunking is the difference, try it, buy a can, buy a bottle, the smell of a fart when you open the bottle....that's skunking, you won't get it when you open the can.