• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:34:23 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Beer too sweet

Started by korndog, March 06, 2014, 08:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

korndog

I've got my first brew on the go, it's a coopers real ale kit. Everything so far looks to have gone to plan, good fermentation and tasted ok before bottling. I bottled the brew 4 weeks ago and have been sampling it each week to see how it is going.

The beer has carbonated well but it tastes very sweet and almost like a cider.

Is the brew still green or has something gone wrong?

Tom

Welcome to the forum.

Kits can taste a bit green/apple-y/cidery, yes. It gives you the incentive to shell out on all-grain equipment!

First brew, well done on getting a beer you can at least drink. Try leaving it a little longer before sampling the next bottle. I think you can store it a little warm for a couple of days, to encourage the yeast in the bottle to finish what it started (the apple flavour is a byproduct of fermentation which in theory can be reduced by the yeast to a flavourless compound).

Will_D

Quote from: Tom on March 06, 2014, 08:13:38 PM
I think you can store it a little warm for a couple of days, to encourage the yeast in the bottle to finish what it started (the apple flavour is a byproduct of fermentation which in theory can be reduced by the yeast to a flavourless compound).
Spoken like a true BJCP student, in answer to:

"How to get rid of (BJCPs favourite on-line question) Acetaldehyde [green apples] in my beer?"

Full marks Tom!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

korndog

Cheers Tom, That helps a lot.
I'll store it in a warmer room for a week to see how I get on.

I intend to go all grain later in the year, just want to find my feet first.

delzep

What type of sugar did you use in the kit?

korndog

The standard dextrose brewing sugar,

LordEoin

that'll make the beer thinner and feel more like cider, it'll also ferment out more completely.

Next time, use 1kg DME and brew to 21 liters.
Add a hop steep or dryhop also if you're feeling adventurous!

For this batch though, try what Tom says, otherwise drink up and learn :D

delzep

What was the final gravity?

korndog

March 06, 2014, 09:17:08 PM #8 Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:53:21 PM by korndog
Final gravity was 1.002

DEMPSEY

1002 is way too thin for a beer as it means you have no body. Sugar ferments out completely. :(
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us