• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:29:02 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Smelly FV

Started by enda, March 02, 2014, 11:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enda

What's the fastest way to get the beer stink out of the FV in between brews? Bottled yesterday and gave it a good soak in hot, soapy water but still reeking this morning. I'm not convinced Coopers IPA smell will go well with the stout I'm brewing today.

imark

Give it a blast of oxi and don't worry after that. What remains won't add any significant contribution to your stout

Greg2013

You could also try a soak with some campden tablets, add about 15 of them and fill it up with warm but not boiling water, and please don't stick your head over it as it gives off some nasty fumes ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

enda

Thanks. VWP seems to be doing the trick. All I can smell at this point is chlorine

Will_D

Quote from: enda on March 02, 2014, 12:44:56 PM
Thanks. VWP seems to be doing the trick. All I can smell at this point is chlorine
Add a litre of water and 2 campden tabs. Lid on on the you can store it almost indefinitely and the SO2 gets rid of the Chlorine!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Stitch

Nobody has asked what material th FV is made of? My experience is the plastic buckets retain the smell. Glass the smell is gone once properly cleaned.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

LordEoin

I just wash them with water and leave them drip dry, then leave them stacked in between brews.
It doesn't matter if they pick up a few germs in between, you'll be cleaning/sanitizing again on brewday and at that stage the smell will be mostly gone anyway.
As imark says, it won't add anything noticeable to the beer