• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 02:38:31 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Carbonation and head in Primary

Started by Stun Reeb, February 25, 2014, 09:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stun Reeb

Did a Coopers Pale Ale kit and steeped 250g of Crystal and 50g of pale Chocolate malt (trying to red/amber it up a bit).  Used US-5 for the first time. 

1046 OG and down to 1006 now and stable.

Its been in the Primary for two full weeks now and there is a head on it that doesn't seem to be shifting.  It looks healthy, it's not spotty or anything. But no change in it for the last week.  All of the kits I've done before have been pretty clear at two weeks and no head when I've dry hopped them.

It smells grand.  When I sample it to take a hydrometer reading I get a lot of carbonation and a large head on it that takes ages to settle.  It tastes grand as well, no off flavours, no sourness.  doesn't even taste particularly green. 

The question is, am I being impatient and just to need to give it more time to clear or does it sound infected.  I've only used Nottingham and the kit yeasts so far so I'm not familiar with how US-05 ferments.  Looking to dry hop in the next few days and then leave it in the Primary for another week or two before bottling. 

delzep

Stun Reeb

Quote from: delzep on February 25, 2014, 09:55:16 PM
That username....

Yeah, may have to change it.  Registered here before I'd looked at any other brewing forums.  I'm a yank so thought I was being clever.  Haha

I usually leave it for 3 weeks before bottling.  Think I'll dry hop it tomorrow and bottle it soon enough. 

Chris

I have had the krausen stay on Us05 for weeks. I find that dropping it down to around 12deg normally shifts it.
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

LordEoin

Or transfer it to secondary and leave all the gunk behind :)

Stun Reeb

Just an update.  Dry hopped it for a week and that seemed to break the head up.  Bottled it and two weeks in its already lovely.  Best kit I've made so far by a shot. 

Good lesson in patience for me. 

LordEoin

Well done. Enjoy it. be greedy and don't share any! ALL YOURS!!!  ;D

Garry

How did the colour turn out? Would you call it red or amber?

Stun Reeb

Its hard to tell at the moment.  It was my first Coopers Pale Kit so I don't have anything to compare it to.  It is a nice amber colour, but I wouldn't call it an Amber Ale.  Its only a few weeks in the bottle so more of the grains may come out as it conditions.  It compared fairly well with the HBC Discovery Pale Kit my mate did both in colour and flavour. 

Garry

I was just wondering if the crystal and chocolate would turn it red! It's a colour I've tried to hit myself but usually get amber or very dark ruby! You can post a pic in a few weeks when it clears out?

johnrm

Munich is yer man for red.
Let me know if you need some Garry.

Stun Reeb

It's definitely more of an Amber or a dark Ruby.  I'll stick up a pic in a couple of weeks.  Have to hide it from myself at the moment until I get through the rest of the St Peters kit I did before it.  That one is a nice red colour, but is way too sweet and has a much more distinct bang of kit off it.