• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 26, 2024, 01:43:12 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] HBC Tellicherry Saison Mash Kit

Started by helmet, July 24, 2015, 09:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helmet

First of all, a big thanks to Shane at The Homebrew Company for providing so many of us with these kits to review!
Anyway, here's the kit.

Grain was crushed nicely, smelled good and fresh and it made a nice change not having to drag the mill out!
The kit came complete with fairly comprehensive instructions.

My only suggestion would be that, seeing as how mash kits are popular with folk just starting out at AG, maybe a wee bit more info post FV might be good. Maybe just a quick recommendation about fermenting temperature, time in primary/secondary, what carb level and the like.

Into the tun for mashing,

Onto the boiler next,

Boil and a beer!

Dextrose goes in at start of boil,

First lot of hops at 60 min,

The next lump of hops went in for a 1 minute boil.

Rehydrated the Belle Saison yeast. I used this recently and it's a monster of a yeast!

Got  'Ol Coily out and chilled down to 20deg.

Took a gravity reading. The target OG was 1050, mine came in at 1054, so happy with that.

Into the fermenter, pitch the yeast and settle into the fridge for the foreseeable.

All in all,happy with the kit. Very straight forward and I suppose the proof of the beer will be in the drinking, I'll let yis know in few weeks!

helmet

Quote from: Ciderhead on July 24, 2015, 09:52:38 PM
Luv seeing how others brew especially in pics 8).
Clearly you don't believe in the myth of hot side aeration ;)
Yeah, I've been meaning to get a bit of piping, but keep forgetting. Anyway, call it an experiment!

armedcor

Very happy to see this comes with belle saison. Makes the kit a definite purchase in my eyes.

helmet

Bottling day today!
It flatlined out at 1.000, so looking at about 7.1% before priming.
Smells and tastes great out of the fermenter, big Belgian aroma and flavour.

It's the first time I added some gelatine to the FV and I can't get over how clear it is, I'll be bulk-buying gelatine now!

Anyway, a few more weeks in the bottle and I'll report back.

helmet

3 weeks later and here she is.

Very happy overall, great big Belgian flavours. It probably needs a couple more weeks to hit it's peek and it's a bit dangerous at 7.5%, but couldn't complain about the mashkit at all.
I'll have it at the Wee County meet next Friday and will report back on how it goes down.

LordEoin

danger_zone

Sounds nice Dan. Looking forward to trying it. Its a great kit. Supping my own Saison at the moment too. 2 weeks in the bottle. Quite nice so far
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout