• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 02:31:29 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

"Drain & recirculate until runnings are clear"

Started by Phily, February 27, 2016, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phily

Hey folks,
I'm trying to follow a guide for a Belgian Triple and I don't understand what is meant by this in the instructions "Drain & recirculate until runnings are clear."
Does that mean drain the mashtun, then put it back into the mashtun like you would sparge water and stop the outward flow when the wort runs clear? Or something else?

Cheers
Phily

LordEoin

just get a measuring jug and let the wort flow from your mash tun into it.
Then pour it back into the mash tun gently so as not to disturb the grain bed.
repeat until there are no more bits of grain coming through.

Google 'vorlauf'

Phily

Ah, I was over thinking it. So the normal way to create a gain bed filter, unsure why that would be in the directions but on I go!  O0

Beerbuddha

Lay some tin foil over top of grain bed and make holes in it with pen so you don't disturb the grain with the jug of recirculating wort as this will disturb the grain and you don't want that as it's filtering the wort. If you disturb the grain more particles will get to bottom so you back to square one
IBD Member

auralabuse

Quote from: B.B. on February 27, 2016, 02:09:07 PM
Lay some tin foil over top of grain bed and make holes in it with pen so you don't disturb the grain with the jug of recirculating wort as this will disturb the grain and you don't want that as it's filtering the wort. If you disturb the grain more particles will get to bottom so you back to square one
Nice tip

Jonnycheech

Quote from: auralabuse on February 27, 2016, 02:16:40 PM
Quote from: B.B. on February 27, 2016, 02:09:07 PM
Nice tip

+1 So simple, but so good!
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled: